[SOLVED] Unique problem with mouse after replacing clickers

FDru

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
I had to replace my Logitech M570's clickers (the built-in ones wear out very fast).

I used a pair of Omron D2FC-F-7N clickers from a pack I ordered.

This worked fine for about a week, then a strange issue cropped up: the right clicker, though physically unclicking on cue, started having a short delay after release before the computer recognized the button is released. This delay was about 1/5th to 1/4th of a second, and seemed to only occur if the button had not been pressed for 20-30 seconds or more.

It wasn't a huge deal (a little annoying in some games but whatever) so I just continued to use it. It's been about 2 months now and the delay has suddenly gotten worse today. The delay is much longer, making the mouse very frustrating to use. Before I replace the clicker again, I thought I would ask here to maybe find out what has caused this issue.

The only clue I have is that I did not re-solder the clickers after replacing them. Due to the difficulty of removing the original ones, I thought I could get away with this. I had no idea if this would cause problems but they did work perfectly fine for a week, and the left one still has no issues.

Solution
How did you connect the clickers without soldering them in?

E.g., heat shrink tubing?

Two possible reasons for the delay:

1) the connection method you used is not holding and maintaining solid electrical contact, and

2) the clicker(s) from the pack is/are defective or of low quality and reach EOL very quickly.

Would it be safe to say that the right clicker was the most difficult to uninstall and reinstall? Any such "awkwardness" tends to be more problematic with respect to a fully successful repair.

Just try another clicker. May go a bit easier this time as you know what to expect and can, accordingly, prepare for (aka the learning curve).

Another failure would make the clicker(s) themselves more suspect.

Ralston18

Titan

E.g., heat shrink tubing?

Two possible reasons for the delay:

1) the connection method you used is not holding and maintaining solid electrical contact, and

2) the clicker(s) from the pack is/are defective or of low quality and reach EOL very quickly.

Would it be safe to say that the right clicker was the most difficult to uninstall and reinstall? Any such "awkwardness" tends to be more problematic with respect to a fully successful repair.

Just try another clicker. May go a bit easier this time as you know what to expect and can, accordingly, prepare for (aka the learning curve).

Another failure would make the clicker(s) themselves more suspect.

Solution

FDru

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
The clickers have 3 vertical pins on the bottom (like so: | | | ), which I just pushed through the board. It's a very firm connection, so I just kind of assumed it might be fine if I didn't solder it in place. (Honestly though, I was a little surprised it worked like that.)

The clickers are easy to get in but very hard to get out with the solder on (I have a wick, flux etc, but fully cleaning all 3 pins seems nearly impossible; ultimately the clickers needed to be pried out of the board), which is why I was hoping to avoid resoldering it.

If the solder is needed to ensure a stable connection then that's fine, I can do that. But I guess trying a new clicker first will be the best idea.

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

Had a similar experience just a few months ago helping a younger family member salvage parts from a defunct flat screen TV and also a deceased motherboard.

No real need for anything - just a fun exercise for something to do. Solder just did not seem to melt and flow/wick away. Even for easily accessible components with lots of available space to work around.

And do bear in mind that the PCBs are becoming thinner and flimsier. Previous prying may have cracked a trace or loosened another soldered component on the PCB.

Not your doing per se. Just that most things are no longer made to be repairable beyond a certain point.

Manufacturers like things that way....

[Last minute - late thought: do you have a multimeter? Test a few of the clickers prior to installation. Check the responses/responsiveness.]

FDru

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
So I swapped the clickers (instead of replacing one). Figured that would kill 2 birds with one stone.

The right clickers almost completely stopped working, as it fit in the board very loosely. The left one was fine, so it wasn't the clicker that was the problem afterall.

So I went ahead and soldered them both on. But the delay is still there on the right clicker. It's at least reverted to how it was before it started getting bad yesterday.

You're probably right about the board just being damaged, as they aren't really built to be repaired... (seems that when these mice are sent in for repairs they just replace the entire unit, which is weird since clickers are like $1.00).