Unique situation for gaming

May 2, 2018
So I drive a truck over the road. I want to buy a new system. The easy answer is just get a laptop, which is what I currently use. But I'm curious if a desktop can take the abuse of being in a truck. Clearly there are obvious pros to desktop vs laptop. But can a desktop take the constant vibrations and bumps of being in a truck full time? It wouldn't be running when I'm driving of course, but can components vibrate loose and be damaged when turned on? Or are the connections solid enough?

Also, would it be better to have a pure sine converter vs the typical one?

TIA

Solution
Just make sure you build one that has reinforced PCi-Ex slots on the MB, which many do now, and I also advise getting a GPU that has a full one piece back plate. Note that some back plates, like the ones on Nvidia reference GPUs, are split into two halves. Between the reinforced Pci-Ex slots, which have metal brace work on them, and a full one piece GPU back plate, you won't have to worry about the Pci-Ex slot getting damaged from vibration and sag.

I would also advise getting a MB that's built to be stronger. I like ASUS MBs, and their TUF series has a metal backplate for the CPU mount. I would also suggest using a decent thread locker that's meant to be used after it dries to put on any mounting hardware.

I would also advise getting...
Just make sure you build one that has reinforced PCi-Ex slots on the MB, which many do now, and I also advise getting a GPU that has a full one piece back plate. Note that some back plates, like the ones on Nvidia reference GPUs, are split into two halves. Between the reinforced Pci-Ex slots, which have metal brace work on them, and a full one piece GPU back plate, you won't have to worry about the Pci-Ex slot getting damaged from vibration and sag.

I would also advise getting a MB that's built to be stronger. I like ASUS MBs, and their TUF series has a metal backplate for the CPU mount. I would also suggest using a decent thread locker that's meant to be used after it dries to put on any mounting hardware.

I would also advise getting a case that has good vibration dampening for the HDDs. Some just use rubber grommets where the HDD screws mount, others actually suspend the drives from rubber straps. The latter are generally the open type cases that have all mesh and no solid panels. I would also recommend getting well built HDDs made with quality parts and 5 yr warranty. I use the WD Black series, and they are fast and reliable at a decent price.

If you get a higher end CPU that doesn't come with cooler, like Intel's 8700k, I advise not going too heavy with the cooler, and using something low maintenance. I have found the best for these needs is a wide stack air cooler with one fan. They are almost as good as AIO water coolers, and easier to clean.

Lastly, set aside a great place to store the rig while driving, and store it with the right side panel facing down. This will assure the CPU cooler and GPU sit upright while driving. This also means the GPU cooler will be less likely to loosen or cause the MB to warp, and the GPU won't stress the Pci-Ex slot.

Adequate storage could range from being bungied to the top of a diesel rig bed, to a guyed mesh loft like those used in tents, to a home made foam rubber wrap stashed in the corner, to a full on foam lined hard case that the entire PC case fits into. The possibilities are near endless. This is definitely doable with a little ingenuity though.

Some things you're obviously going to want to think about are convenience and security. My guess is most truckers, especially long haul truckers, might not want to move the PC from storage to setup every time they play, or have time to. If you mostly sleep in the truck, this might mean storing it in such a way that also serves as your PC station.

The beauty of most PC cases is they can be positioned on their right side panel, because it usually has no vents. This position as said above is also the best to avoid vibration damage. Now I know some truckers love to pick up hitch hikers now and then to avoid boredom, but you may want to turn that passenger seat area into your PC station.

Lastly, if you have a nice gaming rig right in your passenger seat area, it would be wise to use some window tinting or draw curtains, to keep them from the view of would be thieves. This would also block out any light should you need to take a quick day nap. And of course, make sure your big rig's doors have decent locks. If necessary even install a decent alarm system if you don't already have one.

After some quick checking I found a PC Gamer article on a long haul trucker gamer whom did this, and some semi truck gaming PC chat on the Linus Tech Tips and Reddit forums. You might want to ask some questions on how these guys solved the vibration problem. I think I've got you mostly covered with my suggestions though.

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-trucker-put-a-gaming-pc-in-his-big-rig-to-deal-with-the-isolation-of-the-open-road/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7htbtj/when_youre_a_truck_driver_but_gaming_is_life/

Solution