amirsaver

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2012
I tried to upgrade my windows 10 through usb installation but it said remove media then try again. But my old windows 10 is corrupted and I can't log into it. It shows blue screen and just restarts. I installed a windows in another drive not to lose my data in drive C. Can I remove media from there? How can I find my pictures and desktop files in old windows folders?

Solution
what motherboard do you have?

simplest way to copy info might be to boot from installer but we obviously need to get past that message.
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

then I would really start from scratch, you don't want 2 installs on 1 pc, it is just a waste of space.
I wonder if win 10 created a new boot partition or used the one from old install - this is why starting again is likely best choice.

I would copy everything off the old install onto new.
Turn off PC, unplug power, and take the new...
If you get a SATA to USB adapter or something of the sort from Amazon, you’ll be able to plug in the hard drive to the working PC and view, move, and copy all the files you want from the corrupted windows drive.

Before you go spending money, did you try booting into safe mode to see if that helps so you can back up your data?

I tried to upgrade my windows 10 through usb installation but it said remove media then try again. But my old windows 10 is corrupted
This message tells us that the system is still trying to start up from the broken win 10 installation, you will have to change your bios settings or press the correct key at boot up to enter the boot menu to make it start from usb.
This of course needs the usb to be made correctly if there is a problem with the usb it won't boot no matter what you do.
I installed a windows in another drive not to lose my data in drive C.
-snip-
How can I find my pictures and desktop files in old windows folders?
All your files are in c:\users ,instead of c: whatever your old drive shows up as since now c will be the new installation.
If you saved files in other folders instead of the default ones then you will have to search for those folders by yourself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have?

simplest way to copy info might be to boot from installer but we obviously need to get past that message.
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

then I would really start from scratch, you don't want 2 installs on 1 pc, it is just a waste of space.
I wonder if win 10 created a new boot partition or used the one from old install - this is why starting again is likely best choice.

I would copy everything off the old install onto new.
Turn off PC, unplug power, and take the new install out of PC
reinstall win 10 on normal drive
once PC boots from old drive, turn it off, put old hdd back in and make sure its not added to boot menu in bios
boot from normal drive, copy info off new install onto the right one
delete the new install.

Last edited:
Solution

amirsaver

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2012
I could find my files in user folder through new windows. but I want to upgrade that corrupted old windows not to lose installed apps. I'm lazy to start over. It doesn't allow me to upgrade and says u should uninstall media first. maybe its bqz of mainboard battery. MB date is 2099. maybe thats y I got problems. after changing time it goes to 2099 again. I have to buy new one and check again.

TRENDING THREADS