[SOLVED] Unit ready for use pop up (hdd malfunction?)

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
So... there was I playing Call of Duty: Warzone when a notification poped up saying that my storage unit is ready for use (just like when you connect an external device like a flashdrive or external hard drive) and the game crashed.
The game was installed in the hdd (a few years old western digital 1 tb unit). That happened a few more times, so a decided to change the SATA cable connected to the hdd to see if it would solve this problem but no deal.
Since the hdd was a few years old I decided to buy a brand new one. I bought the Seagate 1 tb ata 64 mb 3.5 7200 RPM ST1000DM010 but the malfuction is still happening. I've transfered the game to my m.2 nvme unit and the crashes stopped but every one in a while I get that pop-up saying that the hdd unit is ready for use. It also happens when I'm not playing. It even happened while I was writing this (while was downloading Red Dead Redemption 2 to that hdd unit which seems to have messed up the download), so, it happens randomly. Sometimes I spend the whole day using the computer and the pop up doesn't show up.
Windows is installed in a SATA 240 Sandisk SSD and seems to be working fine. This thing only happens with the hard disk.

Does anyone what could it be? I've changed the SATA cables, even bought a brand new hard disk and still couldn't solve this.

My rig:

ASUS ROG B450 F Gaming (BIOS is up to date)
Ryzen 7 2700x (All cores overclocked to 4.1 Ghz) - Cooling Solution: Deepcool Gammaxx L240 AIO
2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3000 Mhz
MSi GeForce RTX 2070 Armor 8G
240 gb Sandisk SSD SDSSDA-240G-G26
1 tb Seagate 7200 rpm ST1000DM010
500 gb XPG Spectrix S40G RGB PCie Gen 3x4 m.2 nvme
PSU Thermaltake 700 W 80 Plus

All drivers are up to date.

Last edited:
So... there was I playing Call of Duty: Warzone when a notification poped up saying that my storage unit is ready for use (just like when you connect an external device like a flashdrive or external hd) and the game crashed.
The game was installed in the hd (a few years old western digital 1 tb unit). That happened a few more times, so a decided to change the SATA cable connected to the hd to see if it would solve this problem but no deal.
Since the hd was a few years old I decided to buy a brand new one. I bought the Seagate 1 tb ata 64 mb 3.5 7200 RPM ST1000DM010 but the malfuction is still happening. I've transfered the game to my m.2 nvme unit and the crashes stopped but every one in a while I get that pop-up saying that the hd unit is ready for use. It also happens when I'm not playing. It even happened while I was writing this (while was downloading Red Dead Redemption 2 to that hd unit which seems to have messed up the download), so, it happens randomly. Sometimes I spend the whole day using the computer and the pop up doesn't show up.
Windows is installed in a SATA 240 Sandisk SSD and seems to be working fine. This thing only happens with the hard disk.

Does anyone what could it be? I've changed the SATA cables, even bought a brand new hard disk and still couldn't solve this.

My rig:

ASUS ROG B450 F Gaming (BIOS is up to date)
Ryzen 7 2700x (All cores overclocked to 4.1 Ghz) - Cooling Solution: Deepcool Gammaxx L240 AIO
2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3000 Mhz
MSi GeForce RTX 2070 Armor 8G
240 gb Sandisk SSD SDSSDA-240G-G26
1 tb Seagate 7200 rpm ST1000DM010
500 gb XPG Spectrix S40G RGB PCie Gen 3x4 m.2 nvme
PSU Thermaltake 700 W 80 Plus

All drivers are up to date.
Have you tried plugging the HDD into a different SATA port on the motherboard? This seems like there is a chance that the port has gone bad. The other thing you could try doing is keeping the HDD plugged into the same SATA port but change the power cable going to the HDD as it could be getting power interruptions.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Have you tried plugging the HDD into a different SATA port on the motherboard? This seems like there is a chance that the port has gone bad. The other thing you could try doing is keeping the HDD plugged into the same SATA port but change the power cable going to the HDD as it could be getting power interruptions.

Thanks for your reply.
I did that and it didn't work. It keeps randomly showing the HDD as a removable device that I just plugged on my computer.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Try updating your BIOS to the most current version. Also go into your BIOS and see if your SATA ports are set to "hot plug" and if so disable the hot plug option.
A little more info on a Windows fix can be seen here.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3083627/internal-sata-drives-show-up-as-removeable-media

It turns out the BIOS wasn't up to date. Now it is but right after updating the BIOS the pop up showing that my HDD was ready for use appeared.
So, I followed the Microsoft's Support page fix and apperently that worked (y)
I'll keep testing and I'll give some feedback later on.

Thanks again!

Reactions: jeremyj_83