Question Universal laptop charger or USB-C charger?

kenzy9

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
hi i'm looking for best charging solution across our household.

we currently have 4 laptops Acer, Asus, Dell, HP and my next one will be Lenovo.

I have moved to buying only laptops with USB-C PD and gradually phasing ones without.
Our Dell and HP have PD so we may want to try it out before warranty ends next year - or should we just bite a 'Universal' charger with multiple head fitments? Suggestions

hi i'm looking for best charging solution across our household.

we currently have 4 laptops Acer, Asus, Dell, HP and my next one will be Lenovo.

I have moved to buying only laptops with USB-C PD and gradually phasing ones without.
Our Dell and HP have PD so we may want to try it out before warranty ends next year - or should we just bite a 'Universal' charger with multiple head fitments? Suggestions

Not sure what you are trying to do here, use the chargers that came with the systems, that is best and safest. USB C charging is more universal but there are still some power differences between systems. If you start using different adapters and chargers at some point someone will use the wrong one on the system and fry the motherboard.

kenzy9

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Not sure what you are trying to do here, use the chargers that came with the systems, that is best and safest. USB C charging is more universal but there are still some power differences between systems. If you start using different adapters and chargers at some point someone will use the wrong one on the system and fry the motherboard.
hi i wanted a one charger/universal fits all
thought chargers(or laptops) are smart these days and adjust to correct power? :(

hi i wanted a one charger/universal fits all
thought chargers(or laptops) are smart these days and adjust to correct power? :(

Not really, there are ranges that work OK, you want the same voltage, the amps are more flexible. Close voltage should also work OK but that depends on the equipment. I'm sure you can find some universal power bricks, but considering the laptops have them included and there is a chance that you can damage the system with the wrong power, it's a better idea to just use the power brick supplied with the system.