Universal Laptop Power Adapters For The Air, Road, And Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreeharsha

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I actually thought they are going to release a standard for all the Laptop Power Adapters, one power adapter for all the notebooks. (only might be different wattages)

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I can not honestly tell you the number of friends, customers, and others that bought a non-dell power adapter for a dell unit, and found out that it will run the unit, with reduced performance, but will not charge. and paid lots of money. I keep a collection of actual dell power supplies 65w, 90w, 120w ,just to help out when that happens. funny thing , if you shop around you can get the real ones for less than the kingston, etc "universal"!

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]And even worse than that- between my daughter and I we've owned 3 Dell laptops, and each one uses a different power adapter and plug.[/citation]

That seems unusual. In my house we have 3 different laptops spanning 6 year purchase dates and they all have the exact same plug. Two of the laptops are Latitudes and the other is a Studio XPS. The only difference is that the Studio XPS came with a 130 watt adapter as opposed to 65 watt adapters for the Latitudes. So no gaming with that machine while plugged into the 65 watt adapters.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]shreeharsha[/nom]I actually thought they are going to release a standard for all the Laptop Power Adapters, one power adapter for all the notebooks. (only might be different wattages)[/citation]

Actually this sort of standard DOES exist in Europe for smart phones and cell phones, I'm not sure if it includes laptop or netbooks but it might. I'll have to search around.

It seems the bottom line today is buy the OEM adapters if you want to play it safe.

This is exactly why I don't understand dropping serious money into a laptop. Have a good desktop, and a cheap laptop/netbook/smartphone/tablet for your portable needs. Batteries only last 2-4 years with consistent use, so after 2-3 years you need a $150 battery, plus if your power brick is worn out then it is another $120 for that...
So that $800 laptop then requires another $270 to run after 3 years? And this is assuming you don't drop the thing, or break it through normal wear and tear. And laptops do not age as gracefully as desktops because they are generally crap hardware to begin with. Much better to stick with a $300 laptop, and a decent desktop. The desktop will keep up with the times longer and will have less maintenance, while the laptop can be swapped out when need be.

simontay1984

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
My Toshiba Satellit Pro M30 is over 5 years old now and it still works fine. HDD and RAM has been upgraded. The battery went flat a long time ago and won't recharge.
Instead of buying a new Lithium-Ion batt (that would only last about another 2 years anyway), I just use a 12V 7.2Ah Lead Acid connected to the PSU input when I don't have access to a mains supply for an extended period (e.g. on long train journey).

It works cos the PSU output voltage is 15V so 12V is close enough.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
the problem always created by U.S.A. they like to twist the ISOs upside down. for example, metric system, kilometer become miles, centimeter become inches, kilogram become pound, standard road direction is left,they changed to right. wall socket pin, voltage. etc. and today, they corrupted world financial system, caused loss of multi billion to several region. if they follow the a-long-lone time ISOs, it will be easier to everyone in this world.

cheers!

G

@Cybersans. The United States customary system of measurement is based on imperial units, which were used in the British Empire. Most intelligent people in the world, that have studied at least some history, understand that the United States of America was born from 13 British Colonies. That being said, many customs that are still used in the US today were born from our British Heritage like for instance the mile and the ENGLISH LANGUAGE!! Most of us, who celebrate that heritage, also feel a requirement to come to the aid of the nation in which fathered our own in say, ‘times of crises’ which is another history lesson. Also, since most of the technology that is discussed on this website was created in our country, it is only customary that the technology gets measured in its country of origin not matter how convoluted it may be. Cheers!

[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Actually this sort of standard DOES exist in Europe for smart phones and cell phones, I'm not sure if it includes laptop or netbooks but it might. I'll have to search around. It seems the bottom line today is buy the OEM adapters if you want to play it safe.[/citation]
Phones and GPS devices take less current to charge than notebook batteries. These devices are moving from proprietary chargers to charging via USB. I haven't met a notebook computer yet that could charge off the low USB currents, even if the 5V supply could be pushed up to 12V.

he battery in the notebook largely regulates the trickle charge, even when it's topping off from a constant current/constant voltage charging scheme.
I hope that that is so; it certainly wasn't the last time that I looked at this in detail. At that time, just putting 15V across the charging terminals of the battery and going to sleep would ruin the battery; there was all kinds of logic in the charger to protect the battery.

Have they really built this into the batter now, so that all we have to do is provide a DC source with the right voltage and no other control circuitry?

Status
Not open for further replies.