Universal rating

jago25_98

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I'm looking for somewhere that has rated a large amount of graphics cards to a similar benchmark.

The effect of CPU, memory etc should not be included in the score.

If possible quanitive ratings on features would also be nice to include, but if it comes down to a UnrealT or UT2k3 benchmark score then that's ok.

With this information I can divide the score by the cost of the cards both new and 2nd hand to determine what the best value card is and where to buy from.

Thanks for your help. If I manage to do this I'll share the information on this thread. A similar attempt at this was made here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-16.html

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
the THG VGA Charts part III is the biggest one I've seen
You can find another one at AnandTech: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955</A>

When you finish your round-up, be sure to post here a link :wink:

Good luck

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cryo on 05/05/04 10:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
I think it's called "3dMark03"...

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
With this information I can divide the score by the cost of the cards both new and 2nd hand to determine what the best value card is and where to buy from.
IMO, the best value card is always the best performing one you can afford. Reason being, if you can afford $500 for a top performing card, then you should buy that one, even if there is a $200 card that offers a better performance to price ratio. The midrange cards almost always offer the best bang for your buck, but that doesn't mean you should only buy midrange. Another important factor when determining value is how long the card will last you? By comparing only performance and cost, this gives zero indication about future value of the card.

Without continuing to ramble on, I think you're wasting your time doing this, as the best value is always the best performing card in your price range.

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
actually, I found the VGA Charts part III review extremely interesting. I can only encourage people to continue to do this kind of mass-comparative reviews.

So, as long as there are other people who think this way, and moreover, people dedicated to doing it, I don't believe it to be a waste of time

Just my 2 cents.

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Without continuing to ramble on, I think you're wasting your time doing this, as the best value is always the best performing card in your price range.
Bravo! (I mean it)

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: