Unix to W2K3 DNS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Hi,

I am about to replace 2 unix DNS servers with W2K3 DNS servers.
On the Unix I have zone files for 1200 zones and need to get these zones and
hosts etc into the windows DNS servers.
Has anyone any tips on how to quickly and easily create the windows zones
and populate them.?

Thanks,

GJB

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

In news:%23gi9MqHiFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
GJB <GJB@lineondotnet> stated, which I then commented on below:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to replace 2 unix DNS servers with W2K3 DNS servers.
> On the Unix I have zone files for 1200 zones and need to get these
> zones and hosts etc into the windows DNS servers.
> Has anyone any tips on how to quickly and easily create the windows
> zones and populate them.?
>
> Thanks,
>
> GJB

If you have that many zones, you may want to invest in a 3rd party tool.

Simple DNS Plus - Migrating Zone data from another DNS:
http://www.jhsoft.com/tutor/migrate.htm

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

=================================

On 7/14/2005 09:47, GJB wrote:
> On the Unix I have zone files for 1200 zones and need to get these zones and
> hosts etc into the windows DNS servers.

Check out the sample scripts:
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/network/dns/default.mspx>

You'll have to figure out how to export your zone data into a comfortable
syntax.

~Jason

"" wrote:
> On 7/14/2005 09:47, GJB wrote:
> > On the Unix I have zone files for 1200 zones and need to get
> these zones and
> > hosts etc into the windows DNS servers.
>
> Check out the sample scripts:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/network/dns/default.mspx>
>
> You'll have to figure out how to export your zone data into a
> comfortable
> syntax.
>
> ~Jason
>
> --

and what about using a batch file with DNSCMD.EXE to all the needed
actions. You can create the batch with excel

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/DNS-Unix-W2K3-ftopict395822.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1307195