[SOLVED] Unknown bottleneck RTX 2070/i5 8600/16GB 2666MHZ

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
I built a PC with an RTX 2070 8GB, an i5 8600, and 16GB of 2666mhz ram, and I've been getting choppy frame rates in more CPU heavy games like GTA V or The Division, so I suspected a CPU bottleneck, but from what people have said online the 2070 and 8600 should be a good enough pair that bottle necking shouldn't be a problem. I'm not fully sure whether it is a CPU bottleneck or not, whether it's something to do with ram or something else. I doubt it would be the graphics card because lowering the graphics tends to not change the framerate that much, and I would assume a 2070 is powerful enough for the games listed. Is it the CPU, or is there something else causing the problem?

Solution
I've been getting choppy frame rates in more CPU heavy games like GTA V or The Division,
Both of those are not really any more or less CPU heavy then other games,they are just coded with complete disregard to how windows works.
GTA V loading times
The Division on a single core
*Do not try this at home,since tempering with the game threads definitely is ban worthy. This is just to illustrate what the problem is.

These games have their main threads running at a high priority which ** forces windows to cut off secondary tasks until the main task finishes...since these are games though the main tasks don't finish until you quit the game and since the main thread needs the info from the secondary tasks to...

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
The CPU usage is at 100% almost all the time, the gpu usage depends on the game, some games the GPU barely goes past 50%, and some games it reaches the 90's, but never 100%, memory usage is between 70-80% on average, and disk usage is around 30%. CPU and GPU temps are around 50-55C and 70-80C respectively.

I've been getting choppy frame rates in more CPU heavy games like GTA V or The Division,
Both of those are not really any more or less CPU heavy then other games,they are just coded with complete disregard to how windows works.
GTA V loading times
The Division on a single core
*Do not try this at home,since tempering with the game threads definitely is ban worthy. This is just to illustrate what the problem is.

These games have their main threads running at a high priority which ** forces windows to cut off secondary tasks until the main task finishes...since these are games though the main tasks don't finish until you quit the game and since the main thread needs the info from the secondary tasks to continue you get all kinds of issues from longer loading times to missing textures to stutters or slow downs.

*Instead lowering the FPS with a FPS limiter (same as a weaker GPU would do naturally) will cause the main thread to pause more often since it won't have to keep up with the GPU giving you the same result.

If a higher-priority thread becomes available to run, the system ceases to execute the lower-priority thread (without allowing it to finish using its time slice) and assigns a full time slice to the higher-priority thread.

Solution