[SOLVED] Unknown Bottleneck

NinjaPuffE

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Recently was having issues with game fps being lower than it should so I ran a benchmark. Almost everything was underperforming, and I don't know why. Any clue what the issue could be?

Benchmark results

Solution
Install and run both CPU-Z and HWMonitor...

Within CPU-Z, select ''bench" tab, then 'stress CPU'....

Note instantly elevated clock speeds and temps across all four cores and temps during 5-10 minute duration test... (a normal sustained clock speed sustained would /should be ~3.4 GHz, temps below 90C, and 'package pwr' max likely in the 70-80W range given a 95W max TDP as long as temps are under 90C or so...) After observing for 5-10 minutes and noting results within HWMonitor, be sure to hit 'stop' in CPU-Z to end 'stress CPU' function. If using an Intel boxed cooler, if temps are elevated to 95C or higher, there might be some reduced clock speeds. (Will await your summary here)

Other i7-2600 samples tested would undoubtedly do...
Install and run both CPU-Z and HWMonitor...

Within CPU-Z, select ''bench" tab, then 'stress CPU'....

Note instantly elevated clock speeds and temps across all four cores and temps during 5-10 minute duration test... (a normal sustained clock speed sustained would /should be ~3.4 GHz, temps below 90C, and 'package pwr' max likely in the 70-80W range given a 95W max TDP as long as temps are under 90C or so...) After observing for 5-10 minutes and noting results within HWMonitor, be sure to hit 'stop' in CPU-Z to end 'stress CPU' function. If using an Intel boxed cooler, if temps are elevated to 95C or higher, there might be some reduced clock speeds. (Will await your summary here)

Other i7-2600 samples tested would undoubtedly do better on many major-brand consumer mainboards allowed to run a tad over over Intel's power budget within BIOS settings and perhaps using better coolers, with such options likely not available for actual Intel brand mainboards, so, I'd expect lower than normal results in Usermark comparisons.....

Solution

NinjaPuffE

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Ran the tests you were talking about and I think that may be the issue. All the cores ran at around 96-98 degrees and the package power was about 25W. The cores hit their expected clock speed, but then immediately dropped to 1400-1600 MHz.