[SOLVED] Unknown device connected to WIFI but doesn't have IP

gamingpower

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hello
I'm having an "unknown" device connected to my wireless network called Windows-Phone. It's connected to my 2.4GHz Broadband, has a mac address, but no local IP. I tried changing the password, however this device is still connecting. It's connection goes in and out; when I refresh the connected devices page on my router, it'll show that it's disconnected, then a few second later reconnected. What's gotten me more confused/concerned is that when looking at the 2.4GHz Broadband connected devices tab, it shows Windows-Phone as having no SSID as well even though it resides in the 2.4GHz tab. Instead of saying what SSID it's connected to, it just says "--" (this is also the case for where IP would be).
I have another device like this on my network, but I know what it is.

I have blocked access to the Windows-Phone device, but still need to find a way to stop it from connecting. Right now the 2.4GHz connection is set to security option WPA2-PSK [AES].

How can I get this device off my network? I'm also curious as to how this device can connect after a password change and have no IP and claim to not be connected to the SSID even though it is.

Solution
There are a few things you should verify in addition to a quality password with WPA2 encryption. Ensure that you have WPS disabled on your router. Ensure that you have a unique secure admin password. You may also be able to limit admin to wired devices or even a specific IP/MAC address. That is about all you can do. MAC address limiting and SSID hiding do very little to improve your WIFI security.

gamingpower

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
That device isn't "on" your network. If it doesn't have an IP address, then it hasn't authenticated. You can't prevent the device from attempting to connect to your WIFI if you are broadcasting a SSID that the device can see.

Okay, I didn''t realize that a device would show up when attempting to connect, but that explains why it keeps going on and off the connected devices list. At the risk sounding dense, should I be concerned that the same device appears to be attempting to connect several times?

kanewolf

Titan
There are a few things you should verify in addition to a quality password with WPA2 encryption. Ensure that you have WPS disabled on your router. Ensure that you have a unique secure admin password. You may also be able to limit admin to wired devices or even a specific IP/MAC address. That is about all you can do. MAC address limiting and SSID hiding do very little to improve your WIFI security.

Solution