Question Unknown issue with ASUS Rog Dominus Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovejam

Prominent
Mar 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a custom built system (since around 1 year ago):
PSU: Corsair AX1200i (though this is not listed under qualified vendors list)
RAM: Crucial 64GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19 (1X64GB) Qr X4 ECC DIMM (3x) (also not listed under qualified vendors list)
CPU: Intel Xeon W-3175X
GPU: EVGA Geforce Rtx 2080
Cooling: Noctua DX series NH-U14S DX-3647

Since recently, I'm experiencing random shut downs, and the pattern I receive every time is similar in Event viewer: Event 6008 (The previous system shutdown was unexpected), followed by Event 41 (Kernel-power), and followd by several Event 55 (Kernel-Processor-Power, Processor X in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities). to narrow down the list of possible issues, I updated my BIOS, drivers and Windows. I also swapped out memory sticks, and did sfc /scannow (no issues found).
I tried also Windows Memory Diagnostic, but it cannot finish the scanning process and systems shuts down (maybe overheating?).

My main question is, what would be possible cause(s) of this issue? Is it possible becase both PSU and RAM are not under qualified vendors list, they are incompatible with motherboard? though I never exprienced this issue for around 7 months and system was working fine even under >90% CPU usage.

I appreciate any thoughts on this, and please bear with me since I'm just a researcher not a computer expert!

Many thanks!

ovejam

Prominent
Mar 9, 2021
Thanks for the reply!
In fact, ASUS AI Suite 3 monitors CPU temp, and I didn't experience high CPU temp recently (I also now checked with HWInfo, and they show the same temp). On the contrary, several shut downs happened during stand by or when I was not doing something special (usual temp is ~ 30 C).
I must also mention, after sudden shut downs, system cannot POST (fans start to work for 2 secs and suddently everything shuts down), so sometimes I have to wait for several minutes before trying to start the system again!

Normally I'd start suspecting the power supply...but I think the AX is a good supply....and only a year old....but it's still possible....so (depending on the motherboard....but most likely) you should be able to check the PSU voltages with HWInfo as well. You want them within 5% of +12, +5 and + 3.3V under idle and heavy load.

ovejam

Prominent
Mar 9, 2021
So, I recorded HWInfo log under both idle and heavy loads. I simulated the latter with AIDA64 under 100% CPU and 35% RAM loading for 10 minutes (I donno if it's enough for the purpose of power/voltage monitoring?).

+3.3V (3VCC)+5V+12VCPU temp (C)
Idle (mean)3.264.9611.92833
Stressed (mean)3.264.9611.92859.2

Do you think I should repeat stress test for a longer period?

So, I recorded HWInfo log under both idle and heavy loads. I simulated the latter with AIDA64 under 100% CPU and 35% RAM loading for 10 minutes (I donno if it's enough for the purpose of power/voltage monitoring?).

+3.3V (3VCC)+5V+12VCPU temp (C)
Idle (mean)3.264.9611.92833
Stressed (mean)3.264.9611.92859.2

Do you think I should repeat stress test for a longer period?
Those look good and I'm not that surprised as the AX is a really good PSU.
I don't think it's the PSU.
Do the shutdowns occur under load? idle? both?
What do you mean when you say "swapped out memory sticks"?
I'm starting to wonder about the memory....being you say "I tried also Windows Memory Diagnostic, but it cannot finish the scanning process and systems shuts down (maybe overheating?). "
I would try one stick at a time.
Or if you have a different stick that meets the specs...I would try that.

ovejam

Prominent
Mar 9, 2021
Shutdowns occur under both idle/load scenarios. Initially, it started under high CPU/RAM load. I work with big data, so sometimes ~50% of RAM is occupied while CPU load is normal (~10%). But now, it happens even when system is idle (normal CPU/RAM load).

I removed/reinstalled my memory sticks to double check if they're loose ( installed slots). I also tried one or two sticks at a time and rerunning Memory Diagnostics, still shuts down.

Just to be sure, do you suggest I get a new memory (based on QVL on Asus web) and try with that one instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.