unknown lag issue

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
all of my parts are new and when i play any game (war thunder for example) it says i have 60fps on the top and my internet is splendid but i am lagging. it looks like stuttering and it annoys the crap out of me.

Also i don't have a gpu. I'm running on the integrated graphics in my intel i5-4670k hd graphics.

Solution

Intel Core i5 is really good but it's integrated graphics component is subpar to subpar. Hard to believe you got 60 fps, War Thunder must be...

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Sounds like a frame time issue, the amount of time it takes for your monitor to display the frames. You can have 1000 frames but if your frame time is also high, it'll look like half the amount you're getting.

Are you sure you dont have a monitor with a bad refresh time?

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

i actually don't know for sure. my refresh rate should be 60phz. I'm suspecting it has something to do with my integrated graphics card. also please explain how i can check the frame time and how i can check if my frame time is too high.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
People use MSI Afterburner to track frame times. And I didn't mean refresh time, I meant to say response time. Normally if your monitor has a response time of 16 ms or higher, frames begin to show so slowly that it appears laggy.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

how would i fix this if this was the problem? i just got afterburner and yes it is above 16 ms. is it supposed to be under 16? are most gaming pcs under 16? mine isn't a gaming pc yet because i don't have a gpu but when i get one it will be a geforce gtx760.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

well then if it's the igp then how is my laptop not having this same problem even though my laptop is using pentium and the pc is using i5? i've heard that it could be my power supply but it has 630 watts. How can i prove that i have bad graphics or a bad power supply? last i checked intel i5 is really good. if i can't find a solution then do you think a gpu would fix this problem?

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Intel Core i5 is really good but it's integrated graphics component is subpar to subpar. Hard to believe you got 60 fps, War Thunder must be a super old game. The PSU wouldn't cause any screen tearing, the only problem it could cause is failure to start up any components, or less wattage / amperage than needed. I recommend getting a discrete GPU, a Radeon HD 7750 to start off small. It's about $60 or so (I just pulled a number out of my butt actually) but it's light years ahead of the integrated chip in the Core i5 in terms of performance.

Solution

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

your solution sounds logical but i just want to make sure that you know that this is the same game i play on my laptop but my laptop isnt having this problem and my laptop has pentium. i would normally think that the i5 would be better for gaming than the pentium. also my laptop has 4gb ram and my desktop has 8gb ram.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

but what im wondering is why is my laptop better than my computer even though the laptop is stone age compared to my computer?

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Sorry, haven't been on TH that much because of CoD4 promod scrims. Anyway, the computer must have some really REALLY subpar, subpar, to subpar under sub-sub-subpar graphics, I've seen integrated graphics even from the likes of Intel do better than some discrete graphics solutions.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

So are you saying that pentium has better integrated graphics? Pentium is the processor in my laptop and i5 is what i have in the desktop. I know that pentium is older and doesn't support multi threading. If pentium does have better graphics then why don't gamers just use pentium instead of i3, i5, or i7? Like you said before a graphics card should help resolve this problem and i have been planning from the start to get a nvidia geforce gtx760. My concern is if this is actually the problem. This gpu is like $250 and if it doesn't help then that means I would be wasting money. I trust you and you seem like a smart guy. But it just sounds illogical that the almost-brand-new i5 would have worse ig than that of a laptop. It makes sense that a gpu would help because after all they are meant for improving video quality. It just doesn't make sense that the game is saying that i have 50-60fps on the top left corner yet it feels like 15fps but I have a good processor.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

OMG I'm so glad we went over this! Better to fix this issue before it's too late! I'll let you know if anything happens after I try to work my magic on the coolers.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I made the minimum temp 40 degrees celsius and the maximum 50 degrees and the minimum fan speed 90% and maximum 100% on my cpu1 fan and system1 and system 2 fans. No change in cpu temp. Only the system temp changed (from 33-40 to 29-30.) If it matters at all, I have a raidmax 660 watt power supply blowing upwards and it happens to be under my motherboard.Thermal paste isn't an issue.

genz

Distinguished
Jesus it should be a sticky already. Intel 4th gen processors come with fans that are not suitable for use on their chips. I can't tell you how many of these we get a week now. It's slowly getting ridiculous. not that you are to fault fo this of course OP, I'm just saying this in the hope some wise mod will notice this post.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

What do you mean? Are you saying it's the fan?

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I didn't apply it. It came on the fan (that's what she said) that came with the processor. If this was the issue than everyone would be posting related threads.

whitemamba

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Never mind. I fixed it. My motherboard was facing sideways, as well as the heatsink fan, and the fan was loose. I didn't tighten it because I'm lazy but instead I gently lay the computer down so that its side was facing up and gravity pulled the fan down to the cpu and now it's blowing directly on it. My temperature is now 40 degrees celsius instead of 99 and my video quality is much fancier. thanks for the help though! P.S. now I can run battlefield 3.