Question Unknown Overheating Issue

Nov 6, 2020
So I built a computer around Christmas time 2 years ago, and it has been working fine ever since, but over the last 2 months, I've been encountering some overheating issues. The thing that has been happening is that the computer starts up normally, but then the fans get really loud, then the computer shuts off after a few minutes. The 1st time it happened was in the 1st week of October when I noticed that dust had been building up for a while now. I bought a can of compressed air, cleaned out the computer, and then it worked like normal again. It has been a few weeks since that happened, but now recently, my computer shuts off again, but this time it isn't dusty. What would be the issue here? I don't know much because the computer looks fine to me, but I know it's not fine if it keeps doing that.

PC Part List:
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
-Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
-MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
-G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
-Inland 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
-EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
-MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

Ralston18

Titan
Heavy gaming use? Or video editing or even bit-mining use?

My thought is that the PSU may starting to falter as it nears its design EOL (End of Life).

You may have gained back some performance via the cleaning but the PSU is continuing to decline and is again at some heat/temperature threshold where the problems are now re-occurring.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Double check by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, jumpers etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that correspond with the shut offs.

A wide range of varying, numerous errors is, to me, indicative, of a failing PSU.

Do you have another PSU you can borrow to test with?

Nov 6, 2020
Heavy gaming use? Or video editing or even bit-mining use?

My thought is that the PSU may starting to falter as it nears its design EOL (End of Life).

You may have gained back some performance via the cleaning but the PSU is continuing to decline and is again at some heat/temperature threshold where the problems are now re-occurring.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Double check by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, jumpers etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that correspond with the shut offs.

A wide range of varying, numerous errors is, to me, indicative, of a failing PSU.

Do you have another PSU you can borrow to test with?

I mainly do gaming, but also a small amount of video editing on my computer. This barely started just a month ago, so I wouldn't know the true problem behind it. Unfortunately, I don't have another PSU near me to test it out on.

So I built a computer around Christmas time 2 years ago, and it has been working fine ever since, but over the last 2 months, I've been encountering some overheating issues. The thing that has been happening is that the computer starts up normally, but then the fans get really loud, then the computer shuts off after a few minutes. The 1st time it happened was in the 1st week of October when I noticed that dust had been building up for a while now. I bought a can of compressed air, cleaned out the computer, and then it worked like normal again. It has been a few weeks since that happened, but now recently, my computer shuts off again, but this time it isn't dusty. What would be the issue here? I don't know much because the computer looks fine to me, but I know it's not fine if it keeps doing that.

PC Part List:
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
-Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
-MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
-G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
-Inland 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
-EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
-MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

Did you monitor the temps in the system since you listed overheating as the issue? Just because a computer shuts down does not mean it is due to overheating. Do you have enough fans in the case? From the setup you should 3 in there if not more. Did you re-do the thermal paste on the CPU?