Question Unknown partition shows up, windows OS not found next day

ravensfan852

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hello all,

Let me start off by saying this is a Windows 8.1 problem. Unfortunately the mobile forum list didn't have Windows 8 in the selection.

Anyways, yesterday I noticed on my PC that there was a random, small partition that showed up out of nowhere for 350Mb. It was assigned a new drive (H). (Crazily enough I do have 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs in this computer and a disk drive to make drives C-G) So it started out that this new partition had about 50Mb available out of the original 350. I tried to investigate the drive but I couldn't figure out where it came from or what was in it. Even with space taken it showed up empty. I tried to delete it but all it would do was open up the space, not get rid of the drive completely. The computer ran fine for the rest of the night with the drive there.

Today I start my computer and it's saying the operating system is not found. I've tried various different booting options. And when I try a Windows repair using the disk its saying the drive is locked. I am able to see the drive with the OS if I choose to do a fresh install with the space all taken (50GB of 250 available from the OS, games, etc) so everything is still there but it's like its locked up.

Apologies for the long winded post here. Any help would be appreciated. Trying to avoid doing a clean install but if that sounds like the case here please let me know. Thanks!

Update: Everything seems to be up and running. At one point it was able to do a system restore but it wouldn't boot to the actual restore point. It said it was restored but nothing happened afterwards and I was still getting the "No OS found" error. Later on I decided to just click around a little and the automatic repair through the Windows 8 disk worked (which didn't before) and got it up and running again. From here I'm creating another backup because I'm concerned that something still isn't right. Anyone have any advice with this update?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
For the original issue, all you needed to do was remove the "H" drive letter from that partition.
Sometimes, during a Windows Update, that 350MB partition gets assigned a drive letter by mistake.

It was there before, it needs to be there after. It just doesn't need a drive letter.

And backups are your friend.

ravensfan852

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
I'll take care of that first part soon.

I agree with backups wholeheartedly. This was kind of an odd case where I'd actually transferred over to an SSD not long ago so I didn't have much to back up at this point. The most irritating thing I would've had to do was get the drivers for my mobo, but thankfully knock on wood it's working.