Unknown PC problem, PLEASE HELP!!!

Machewsan

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi my name is Matt and recently my Brother helped me build my second PC. (Scroll down to bottom for specs) Prior to this one I had an already assembled one from a company called MLN and about after a year of use that one started to fail, I was unsure what the problem was due to my lack of knowledge on computers at the time, the PC would randomly freeze but mainly when I'd play a game... actually every time I'd play a game.

So this time round we started fresh and only used the SSD, Hard Drive and the Optical Drive from my old computer to use in my new one. But of course I'm having problems, sometimes randomly when I'd turn on the computer it would take forever to enter Windows, and when I would the performance was just terrible. The CPU usage was unnecessarily high even when running no programs at all. The cursor would stutter when I'd move it and playing a video would cause the frames to drop and the audio would crackle and pop. This would usually occur after my computer would once again freeze (even though I have a different build) while playing a game, but it didn't happen often. Also when playing Facebook videos they would start of black and pixelated and I'd have to restart the video to get a clear picture, and finally I'd get the occasional "A disk read error has occurred" but restarting the computer would usually fix the problem.

After talking to my brother he suggested that I should replace both of my hard drives and upgrade to Windows 10. I bought 2 new drives and did a clean install of windows onto the SSD and I'm still having issues which is REALLY frustrating considering we bought the same CPU, Motherboard AND Graphics card. So the new problems I'm having are, when ever I start the computer my SSD will disappear from my BIOS and I'd only have my Optical and Hard drive visible, I then have to restart my computer multiple times in order for it to re-appear meanwhile every restart its running slower and slower and the symptoms seem to be similar to when the CPU usage would be very high and everything would just be laggy. Eventually after a few restarts the SSD will appear and I have to reset the Boot Sequnce and Save for it to then Boot into Windows. Once in Windows it works fairly well although I may have to re-boot because the performance is trash, Also Facebook videos and even Windows Media Player can be weird. Still get the black pixelated videos on Facebook but not nearly as bad.

So when I start my computer in the morning I have to repeat this process and then I can use my computer for the day, I think it may be based on how long the computer is off for, because if I restart it when the SSD is working it usually just starts back up again and I don't have to restart the PC over and over to then have the SSD appear.

So yeah that's the problem I'm having right now and I have no clue what's going on, I've made sure every driver is updated and that I install every windows update. Overall I treat my computer quite well but it keeps giving me reasons not to. I suspect that there is something wrong with the hardware, I'm just not sure if it's the Motherboard, CPU or the Graphics card. If you know what could be happening please respond I'd really appreciate it, Thank you :)

SECOND BUILD SPECS (new hard drives)

Fractal Define R5 Case
Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X
Gigabyte Z97MX-GAMING 5
Intel core i5-4690
16GB Kit Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1866
775 w power supply
Samsung 850 PRO 128gb
Seagate 2TB NAS 3.5" ST2000VN000

Solution
1. Just FYI, those 2tb HDDs are bad for programs, they're slow for applications and games, but fine for document/media storage.
2. Have you tried contacting Gigabyte about this? It sounds like it may be a motherboard issue if it keeps forgetting the boot settings, and it may as simple as replacing the CMOS battery. Is the computer clock wrong every day when you "get it working"? If yes, that's the symptom of a bad CMOS battery:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
http://www.amazon.com/SONY-CR2032-Equivalent-CMOS-battery/dp/B000A0RIHI

3. When it does work, are your CPU and GPU running at their stock speeds?
4. Specifcally what powersupply do you have? You may have a garbage tier one that isn't capable of delivering the...
1. Just FYI, those 2tb HDDs are bad for programs, they're slow for applications and games, but fine for document/media storage.
2. Have you tried contacting Gigabyte about this? It sounds like it may be a motherboard issue if it keeps forgetting the boot settings, and it may as simple as replacing the CMOS battery. Is the computer clock wrong every day when you "get it working"? If yes, that's the symptom of a bad CMOS battery:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
http://www.amazon.com/SONY-CR2032-Equivalent-CMOS-battery/dp/B000A0RIHI

3. When it does work, are your CPU and GPU running at their stock speeds?
4. Specifcally what powersupply do you have? You may have a garbage tier one that isn't capable of delivering the power it claims.

Solution

Machewsan

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Thanks for replying James, when I am able to get into windows the clock is always the same and most of the time the CPU will run at about 2% usage when not doing anything major. Although I have had the same CPU usage issue occur but only when I was changing some of the boot options in the BIOS, at this point of time I've only been running Windows 10 with my new drives for about a week so I'm still trying to figure out what the causes of these problems are, and what might cause the CPU usage to fluctuate. And finally the power supply is Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M.

Meaning it displays the correct time or the wrong time?
If the time is wrong, it is a bad CMOS battery. Replacing it is relatively easy, as the my previous links show.
And if you disconnect the hard drives and/or swap the sata cables does it still have problems detecting the SSD?

Machewsan

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hey James, sorry for the late reply, The clock both in windows and in the bios show the correct time and have never changed. I just changed the SATA cable for the SSD and it seems to be working now, I'll let you know in a couple of days to see if the SSD isn't appearing in the bios on the first boot. As for the bad audio crackling and on screen lag, I still don't know but I contacted GIGABYTE and they think it's the graphics card but I'll have to clarify. Thanks for all your help mate, really appreciate it :)