• Yes, it's most likely an infected file

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, it's most likely a glitch and/or harmless

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DRG77

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Hi, I run Windows 8.1 x64. I noticed in the Startup tab of Task Manager, there's a listing simply called "Program".

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/8eyr1yB.png

When I right click on this program, the options "Open file location" and "Properties" are greyed out.

I was just curious if anyone else had this in their Startup. I'm not sure if this is simply a glitch or if it's an infected file, I get frequent blue screens that say "BAD_POOL_HEADER", despite frequent security scans, driver updates and constant avoidance of any possible sites that could infect my computer. I can't see any way that my computer could have a virus.

DRG77

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

I don't know what a boot-time scan is. Can I do that with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware? It's all I use because I game a lot, though I use PeerBlock to block potentially harmful IPs if you can count that as a security program.

elfin8er

Honorable
May 5, 2013
I personally have Avast. It's one of the top rated anti-virus programs out there. It's got real-time protection, scanning, and even a sandbox mode which allows you to run programs in the safe environment. The boot time scan allows you to scan the Windows files before the computer boots into Windows. I would run that to make sure that Windows itself doesn't have any viruses.

DRG77

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

What are the top 5 best antivirus programs? Money isn't a factor considering I want the best security possible.

elfin8er

Honorable
May 5, 2013

I'm not someone who is very knowledgeable in this field, but I'll do my best to answer. My personal favorite is Avast which has both a free and paid version, however, BitDefender 2015 was rated highest from PCMag. There is also a top 5 antivirus software list from PCMag that I think is worth checking out. Also, taking a look at CNET's Security software, as well as their Antivirus Software may be of some use. Last but not least, there's a great guide right here that explains what Antivirus Software is right for you.

DRG77

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Much appreciated :)

DRG77

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I found the answer, I merely needed to enable command line on Task Manager to find what the files were. They were deleted long ago so it looks like they're stuck there.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS