Unknown program in Task Manager

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
What is the program in my Task Manager labeled "Program"?
I just reinstalled Windows yesterday, and I only have Steam, Sony Vegas, and Photoshop on this PC right now, with a hand full of other programs.
So, I'd highly doubt it's a virus of any kind, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it, because it's just taking space in the list and makes no sense to be there.
So if any of you know what it is, and how to get rid of it that'd be awesome!

https://imgur.com/9TBGg8H

Solution
I don't have anything named that on my computer and I have also realtek sound chip.
for me, I have "Realtek HD audio manager" in my startup which is running C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe

The control panel item I have is RTSnMg64.cpl so that is not it either.
In short, I'm running windows 10 and I have nothing of the sort anywhere.
I have installed realtek sound drivers from motherboard site though, have you? microsoft might have it's own dirty way of doing things.

on side note, I do have:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RTHDVCPL key though whose value runs "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe" -s

so.. copy/pasting this to text file and naming it something.reg would...

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I'm the one who disabled it, I wanted to help my boot time, and wasn't exact sure what it was.
The properties option and file location are greyed out. I already tried them. My only other idea would be it's a deleted program that is stuck in the Task Manager window still, not sure how to get rid of it though.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I'm kind of scared of CCleaner to be honest. It's actually why I reinstalled Windows. I was told to run it by a support guy at Origin and it messed up windows. I couldn't open my start menu after and my web browsers kept crashing and stuff.
Any suggestions on how to remove manually?

That is more tricky since the things to run are spread all over registry.

it could be in any of the places: (the easy ones I know right away)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

Or.. if you want to just find it, you could use ccleaner, see if it sees it, right click, open in regedit and murder it yourself that way?
the startup modifying part does not include auto-running registry fixing or cleaning files out of computer, it is under "tools" on left.

You can probably find it in Registry Editor (regedit) under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Find entry called "Program" and delete it.
Just be sure that you delete the right entry. If you're not sure then better leave as it is.
Messing with registry without propper understanding can be harmfull to Windows.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I like the way you said, "Or.. if you want to just find it, you could use ccleaner, see if it sees it, right click, open in regedit and murder it yourself that way?" I could try it I guess, I don't know though. The reason I reinstalled like I said was because of CCleaner, I don't know how I feel about running it again.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I'll look around, see what I can do, thanks for the tips.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Okay, so I downloaded CCleaner, and I looked for startup items. I actually ended up finding some more start up programs then the ones showed in Task Manager. I narrowed it down to a program called RTHDVCPL, and I have no idea what that could be. Could you look on your PC and let me know if you have it too, or if you know what it might be?

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Okay, after a quick google of what this might be it got a little more scary. It's apparently a Microsoft signed program, so hopefully it's not a fake or something, but I guess it records keyboard and mouse inputs like a keylogger? Not sure but that's what I got from that article anyways.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

It's seems to be a Realtek Audio Driver of a sort. It's safe, and not a virus.
It's comes up named RTHDVCPL in registry and in CCleaner, it's not the program I'm looking for though.
Running Windows 10

I don't have anything named that on my computer and I have also realtek sound chip.
for me, I have "Realtek HD audio manager" in my startup which is running C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe

The control panel item I have is RTSnMg64.cpl so that is not it either.
In short, I'm running windows 10 and I have nothing of the sort anywhere.
I have installed realtek sound drivers from motherboard site though, have you? microsoft might have it's own dirty way of doing things.

on side note, I do have:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RTHDVCPL key though whose value runs "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe" -s

so.. copy/pasting this to text file and naming it something.reg would allow you to have the key set, I think.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"RTHDVCPL"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Realtek\\Audio\\HDA\\RtkNGUI64.exe\" -s"
but.. uninstalling/reinstalling realtek sound drivers will likely fix the issue just as well.

That said, it's past midnight yet again so I'm off to sleep.

Solution

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Thanks for the help do. Good night

Colif

Win 11 Master
That explains one of the "program" references i had in my start up on my last install. I had about 4 of them, i just stopped them running, I wonder if they are left overs from previous installs. I don't like unknown programs, never know what they might be. I found one reference to it being a virus but most agree with it being Realtek, its name describes what it is Realtek GUI.

RtkNGUI64.exe is loaded in the all users (HKLM) registry as a startup file name 'RTHDVCPL' which loads as "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe" -s.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-5189-program.aspx

I wonder, since I have the Asus version of the drivers and they have their own GUI, perhaps this is the default GUI that is not used by the ASUS version, and it may be left behind by the installer when the version is updated.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah, I don't like unknown programs either. Glad you were able to figure it out dude!