BlakeW

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
So recently I have come across a few problems with my system. At first I had PCIe slot die on me which resulted in a purchase of a new motherboard. After that I had an issue where my CPU's core 0 was stuck at 100% 24/7 and a windows reinstall fixed this. I believe that issue was due to conflicting motherboard drivers.

After all these fixes my new issues seems to be that ALL my games (both steam, epic games and origin launcher games) keep crashing at random intervals. All games are crashing straight to desktop. At first I thought this might have been a GPU or CPU issue but many stress tests and benchmarkings seem to not point towards this. Recently one of my HDD's began to die out so I replaced it with a brand new Seagate Barracuda 8TB ST8000DM004 3.5in Hard Drive, I have a suspicion that this might be the cause of my crashes but am not entirely sure how I could test this theory or if a HDD can even be responsible for game crashes.

Every single one of my games and windows has undergone a complete reinstall since I purchased the new motherboard.

I am not sure what else could be the issue. Could anyone help me with some tests I could run or possible solutions that I could attempt, would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K (Stock clock speeds)
GPU (Graphics Card): Gigabyte RTX-2080 8GB (Overclocked to preset "gaming" mode)
RAM: Corsair RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 (Overclocked to 3600Mhz)
HDD: 256GB SSD (Windows and other important files) 8TB Seagate (Games and Programs)
PSU: Corsair RM750x Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
So recently I have come across a few problems with my system. At first I had PCIe slot die on me which resulted in a purchase of a new motherboard. After that I had an issue where my CPU's core 0 was stuck at 100% 24/7 and a windows reinstall fixed this. I believe that issue was due to conflicting motherboard drivers.

After all these fixes my new issues seems to be that ALL my games (both steam, epic games and origin launcher games) keep crashing at random intervals. All games are crashing straight to desktop. At first I thought this might have been a GPU or CPU issue but many stress tests and benchmarkings seem to not point towards this. Recently one of my HDD's began to die out so I replaced it with a brand new Seagate Barracuda...

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Have you made sure your installation of Windows 10 was done after creating the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? How are you cooling the i7 processor on your board? You're also going to need to monitor your temps using HWinfo in tandem with what you see in BIOS.

You forgot to state, if the games crash to desktop or if the system reboots when taxed with a game...?

BlakeW

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Have you made sure your installation of Windows 10 was done after creating the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? How are you cooling the i7 processor on your board? You're also going to need to monitor your temps using HWinfo in tandem with what you see in BIOS.

You forgot to state, if the games crash to desktop or if the system reboots when taxed with a game...?
Good point, updated thread to state that it crashes to desktop.

In terms of cooling my temps dont exceed 50 degrees celcius for the CPU. Will have to monitor GPU but I don't believe thats the issue. Will check BIOS version but the board is only a week old so I would guess its quite recent but will check.

The Windows was installed using a fresh windows install media USB I created.

H4rry11

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
im having the same issues as you updated bios reinstalld windows installed latest driver and tried previous all games crashing i have ran stress test on cpu for hours tested ram with memtest 86 for hours but all games crash my gpu is brand new and have tested that ther is nothing wrong with it ther is nothing i havnt tried i will try an early nvidia drive but ther is nothing els i can do after that i have 2600x rtx2070 super 16gb corsair vengeance pro strix b450 cx650 cruical p1 nvme drive and most of the parts are brand new

BlakeW

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019

After all these fixes my new issues seems to be that ALL my games (both steam, epic games and origin launcher games) keep crashing at random intervals. All games are crashing straight to desktop. At first I thought this might have been a GPU or CPU issue but many stress tests and benchmarkings seem to not point towards this. Recently one of my HDD's began to die out so I replaced it with a brand new Seagate Barracuda 8TB ST8000DM004 3.5in Hard Drive, I have a suspicion that this might be the cause of my crashes but am not entirely sure how I could test this theory or if a HDD can even be responsible for game crashes.

Every single one of my games and windows has undergone a complete reinstall since I purchased the new motherboard.

I am not sure what else could be the issue. Could anyone help me with some tests I could run or possible solutions that I could attempt, would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K (Stock clock speeds)
GPU (Graphics Card): Gigabyte RTX-2080 8GB (Overclocked to preset "gaming" mode)
RAM: Corsair RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 (Overclocked to 3600Mhz)
HDD: 256GB SSD (Windows and other important files) 8TB Seagate (Games and Programs)
PSU: Corsair RM750x Power Supply
I possibly fixed my solution doing these steps.
  1. Ran a CHKDSK on all my drives and if found any errors I either fixed or replaced them.
  2. Ran SFC /scannow and fixed all issues that came up.
  3. Ran CCleaner to repair any registry issues.
  4. Used DDU in windows safe mode to completely reinstall display drivers.
These steps appear to have solved my issues and I am no longer experiencing any crashes in my games.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS