[SOLVED] Unknown SanDisk SSD - how to ID

Nov 17, 2020
Hello,

I have a SanDisk SSD that I bought as part of a random bundle of tech bits.

I don't have the right PC to connect it up, can anyone identify the capacity or specific model from the attached images?.

Or if it's not possible to identify an exact model, if you could give me a best guess that would be appreciated.

There is no sticker, however one of the memory chips has the following information on:

SanDisk
60061 0326 Malaysia

8187YVCH51DS

Thanks in advance!

IMG-20201118-030157g.jpg

Solution
B+M keying. No DRAM. More importantly I can tell that controller is distinct, in fact I've only seen it one place: the newer WD Green SSDs. You can see that here. My guess is the drive is the SanDisk variant of that - it's common for there to be WD/SanDisk overlap with drives. The original WD Green I considered to be one of the worst drives on the market and used primarily to cheap out on prebuilts. That's still the case, although the newer model has a new controller (this one) and 3D TLC. It's still the case because that controller is one most commonly seen on USB flash drives - it's quite terrible. If you want qualification of that, see here:

Just like the WD Green hard drive, the WD Green SSD is the company's...
B+M keying. No DRAM. More importantly I can tell that controller is distinct, in fact I've only seen it one place: the newer WD Green SSDs. You can see that here. My guess is the drive is the SanDisk variant of that - it's common for there to be WD/SanDisk overlap with drives. The original WD Green I considered to be one of the worst drives on the market and used primarily to cheap out on prebuilts. That's still the case, although the newer model has a new controller (this one) and 3D TLC. It's still the case because that controller is one most commonly seen on USB flash drives - it's quite terrible. If you want qualification of that, see here:

Just like the WD Green hard drive, the WD Green SSD is the company's cheapest model. It is a model whose only task is to put "check in the SSD box". It is designed for people who want as cheap an SSD as possible, without any other requirements.

From earlier in their testing:

Take any SSD that we have tested over the past 8 years and it is difficult to find a slower SSD.

I realize you only asked for identification but I'm guessing your next query would be about performance, so there you go.

Solution