Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) in Device Manager

KaraThrace

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
Hello guys,

Recently I notice a very strange problem in my newly built PC:

In device manager I found something like Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) . However, all my USB devices work perfectly fine and there's still this yellow sign even I unplug all of the USB device.

I tried reinstall the OS (clean install, format all the disk and reinstall), this thing still happens...

So is this a hardware issue of my motherboard?

I ran the ASUS PC Diagnostics to test the USB ports and notice that under USB xHCI Compliant Hub-Root Hub-Port13 VID:00, there's an Enumeration failed.

KaraThrace

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Dear wpgwpg,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I finally figured out what's going wrong: I use ASUS motherboard and flashed the new BIOS using that EZ Update function of AI Suit 3 program in Windows 10...And that caused the problem. I reflash the bios in BIOS interface and everything is perfect now.

I assumed that, when I flashed the bios of the motherboard in windows 10, it caused the bios of motherboard defect and not proper flashed...That's why though I reinstall the whole system from scratch and still get that message, saying that my 13th usb port is not starting (I only get 12 usb-ports on board...)

Have a nice day!

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
This fix did not help me, but I am having the same exact issue with the MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon mother board.I have updated all the bios, and after a fresh install of Windows 10, I installed all the latest drivers from MSI's website, and it's still doing it.