Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Evga x299 ftw k
I5 7640x
24gb 2400mhz
1060 6gb
Evga supernova g+ 1000w
WD black 500gb NVMe

My pc is freezing and restarting randomly. I did a complete fresh install of windows yesterday thinking that it fixed it but it's still happening. I've updated bios to the newest version, all drivers are new and up to date, I have 0 errors in memtest, temps are good.

The oldest thing in my pc is the 1060 which is about 3 years old, the power supply is 1-2 years old, and my ssd c drive is also 1-2 years old. Everything else is about 2-3 months old.

It seems like it freezes the most during downloads. Sometimes it resets itself but most of the time it just freezes until I reset the system, then sometimes after I reset it, it beeps 5 times and will not post until I clear cmos multiple times.

On the fresh installed windows I'm getting a blue screen that says "Recovery" "it looks like windows didnt load correctly".

My ssd is at 95% health and has 100gb free of 465gb.

It freezes with and without overclock on the cpu. I have no idea what to do now.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
can you use another ssd? or hdd? just to see if then everything works

even if something is new could be broken
I was thinking about this but I dont want to go through the trouble of swapping drives. I'll try booting linux from a usb but it froze in bios twice before. I think the smart data thing would tell me if there was something wrong with my ssd but I dont know. The only thing it can be in my mind is the motherboard but that doesnt make much sense. The board worked perfect for a month until I took my pc on a road trip, forgot my keyboard at home, it cant boot without a keyboard so it beeps 5 times to tell you that, and it hasn't worked normally since. I dont understand how it could be a problem with the motherboard if it's all hardware. Maybe some sort of keyboard driver issue? That doesnt make much sense because bios update didnt fix anything. Some other people I talked to had a similar issue with evga motherboards which sucks because they're a great brand. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. I dont want to RMA the board and I cant sell it if it is somehow messed up.

Feb 15, 2021
I was thinking about this but I dont want to go through the trouble of swapping drives. I'll try booting linux from a usb but it froze in bios twice before. I think the smart data thing would tell me if there was something wrong with my ssd but I dont know. The only thing it can be in my mind is the motherboard but that doesnt make much sense. The board worked perfect for a month until I took my pc on a road trip, forgot my keyboard at home, it cant boot without a keyboard so it beeps 5 times to tell you that, and it hasn't worked normally since. I dont understand how it could be a problem with the motherboard if it's all hardware. Maybe some sort of keyboard driver issue? That doesnt make much sense because bios update didnt fix anything. Some other people I talked to had a similar issue with evga motherboards which sucks because they're a great brand. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. I dont want to RMA the board and I cant sell it if it is somehow messed up.
if you heared 5 beeps the problem is or the cpu or the motherboard most likely , are you sure you have not broken some component during the road trip? or maybe you made some change inside and you have just forgotten to connect the cpu power?

i'm almost sure there is a problem with the cpu , has helpstar told you check the temperature, see if all the fans are working , but i don't think is the gpu

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
if you heared 5 beeps the problem is or the cpu or the motherboard most likely , are you sure you have not broken some component during the road trip? or maybe you made some change inside and you have just forgotten to connect the cpu power?

i'm almost sure there is a problem with the cpu , has helpstar told you check the temperature, see if all the fans are working , but i don't think is the gpu
I dont see what could have gotten broken, it was sitting in the box my case came in with foam on all sides. It probably got rattled alot so I guess it's possible but I've already messed with the power connectors and completely reorganized the cables. I did not reseat the cpu because I dont have any more thermal paste. My cpu is a replacement from an intel rma and was used/refurbished when I got it. The highest I've overclocked it is 5.1ghz 1.310v, but keep it at 5.0ghz 1.295v so I dont think I killed it. I have it on a 360mm aio so it never gets hot, it stays at 55c with fans on like 50%.

Feb 15, 2021
when you cleared the cmos , did you put everything in the correct place?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA5NBvTbanw&ab_channel=itfreetraining

i think that video probably could help you

while you are stressing the cpu the temperature on the cpu is 40?

is there any red or orange led on the motherboard that you didn't see on in the past?

do you think the problem happens more often if you do something that stress the pc like editing or playing video games?

can you try to use your pc with another cpu to see if the problem persist?

honestly if you did a fresh install and the problem is still there probably something it's broken :\ but i'm not sure

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
when you cleared the cmos , did you put everything in the correct place?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA5NBvTbanw&ab_channel=itfreetraining

i think that video probably could help you

while you are stressing the cpu the temperature on the cpu is 40?

is there any red or orange led on the motherboard that you didn't see on in the past?

do you think the problem happens more often if you do something that stress the pc like editing or playing video games?

can you try to use your pc with another cpu to see if the problem persist?

honestly if you did a fresh install and the problem is still there probably something it's broken :\ but i'm not sure
I press the clear cmos button.

35 idle 55 in a game. I said 40 because it doesnt matter what I'm doing it will still freeze.

No new lights.

It does it randomly and after it does it once it continuously does it as soon as I get it booted then it will stop for a while. But downloads seem to trigger the freezing.

I dont have multiple x299 cpus laying around and I dont know anyone that does.

Feb 15, 2021
you can try to run windows memory diagnostic to see if there are some problems
https://i2.wp.com/www.nextofwindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Searching-for-Windows-Memory-Diagnostic-tool.png

if even with that software you can't find any error try to open cmd with administrator permission
  1. Click the Start icon and click in the Search box.
  2. Type cmd into the search box. You will see the cmd (Command Prompt) in the search window.
  3. Hover the mouse over the cmd program and right-click.
  4. Select "Run as administrator".
and then type sfc /scannow ,

see if some of the two option show you some errors

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

dorsai

Distinguished
Since you took the PC out and say it got rattled around I would recommend a tear down and rebuild.

Take everything out down to the bare motherboard, and honestly I would remove that too just to make sure a stray screw or other item didn't get trapped behind the board during the road trip.

Reassemble just the minimum...CPU, GPU, the drive with Windows on it, and one memory stick and verify access to the BIOS and that the BIOS is reporting good temps and voltages. If the BIOS looks good then start Windows. If you have errors swap the memory stick out and see if it still happens. If it still has issues then it's likely not your ram so you'll have to start swapping other items. Hopefully you can borrow a PSU and GPU to test with.

If the hardware re-seat and testing checks out then I would start looking at the Windows SSD as the problem.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Since you took the PC out and say it got rattled around I would recommend a tear down and rebuild.

Take everything out down to the bare motherboard, and honestly I would remove that too just to make sure a stray screw or other item didn't get trapped behind the board during the road trip.

Reassemble just the minimum...CPU, GPU, the drive with Windows on it, and one memory stick and verify access to the BIOS and that the BIOS is reporting good temps and voltages. If the BIOS looks good then start Windows. If you have errors swap the memory stick out and see if it still happens. If it still has issues then it's likely not your ram so you'll have to start swapping other items. Hopefully you can borrow a PSU and GPU to test with.

If the hardware re-seat and testing checks out then I would start looking at the Windows SSD as the problem.
I ran memtest and got 0 errors, but I guess I'll try taking it apart.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018

It's still giving me 5 beeps and wont post with the c drive taken out. I'm thinking that if I can get it to post I'm going to try turning up ram voltage to 1.250.

I put the gpu a slot down, still no post 5 beeps. I put the gpu back where it was and put my m.2 c drive in a different slot. It posted and booted no problem but I very seriously doubt this is the end of the freezing. It always comes back. It's so aggravating to have my pc work perfectly the first time I built it being my first pc, then have no issues for 3 years, then all of the sudden it freaks out and has a bunch of weird problems. I will run it at 1.25v on ram and see if it freezes again.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021
It's still giving me 5 beeps and wont post with the c drive taken out. I'm thinking that if I can get it to post I'm going to try turning up ram voltage to 1.250.

I put the gpu a slot down, still no post 5 beeps. I put the gpu back where it was and put my m.2 c drive in a different slot. It posted and booted no problem but I very seriously doubt this is the end of the freezing. It always comes back. It's so aggravating to have my pc work perfectly the first time I built it being my first pc, then have no issues for 3 years, then all of the sudden it freaks out and has a bunch of weird problems. I will run it at 1.25v on ram and see if it freezes again.
try to reseat the cpu to clear a possible bad electrical contact , you need new thermal paste for that

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
look at page 141 of board booklet for post code seams a device not detected .
There's no way to know what device is not connected, but I'm assuming its keyboard and my keyboard is plugged in and working fine. I haven't had a single stutter or freeze since i turned up ram voltage and i think that might be the issue. Somebody else using the evga x299 dark had an issue where the ram wasn't getting enough voltage and caused crashes, so I'm thinking that might be what's going on with mine. The book specifically says it wont boot without a keyboard plugged in, so i think the beeping and the freezing are unrelated. The post code says d6 while its beeping, then it goes to a9 and boots with no signal. i know its booted windows because when i press the power button the hdd status light flickers and then the power button turns green meaning that its in sleep mode. But if it starts freezing again i will definitely reseat the cpu and power cables.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
try another sata cale on the hdd and if you could test this one with is maker software also in hwinfo sensor page check voltages in system then stress it so it goes full load and look if power values change .

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
try another sata cale on the hdd and if you could test this one with is maker software also in hwinfo sensor page check voltages in system then stress it so it goes full load and look if power values change .
The c drive is an m.2 ssd. So far I've had no problems with it in a different slot and with ram voltage increased. It said it was at 1.192 stock which is probably close enough to 1.2 but might be the issue.

What do you mean by maker software?

Under load and idle voltages are all the same except for ram voltage. At idle ram voltage was 1.248 and under load it's at 1.236

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
the m 2 maker have a software to test them like the hdd one to made sure they work ok you could use it in another m 2 slot on the board and it work without issue i would check bios with it in first m 2 slot to see how it is detect also made user it is on the support list of your motherboard .

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS