halcyon

Splendid
In your experience which is better.

1. Unlapped ThermalRight Ultra Extreme + Scythe S-Flex SFF21-F

or

2. Xigmatek S-1283 + stock fan

or

3. Other currently available air cooler

Has anyone else tried both the TRUE and S-1283? What are your thoughts. Besides cooling consider fan noise. Yes, I can read the reviews but I'd like the thoughts of others that use these products every day.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
TRUE with Scythe Kaze and fan controller! No noise problems, excellent cooling performance, and when you decide to crank that fan, keep all cables and fingers away!

Fair warning.

::Looks at blood blister on thumb from blade.::

::Looks over at exploded Kaze that ate a SATA cable.::

I think you get the idea...

--Lupi

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

I've already suggested the kaze with fan controller in another thread. He didn't like it. Too noisy. :p

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Oh, he thinks because the price is cheap its bad! The others are expensive because they are quiet. Like that Noctua, or whatever. But if you want power, look at the air movement on the Kaze's spec sheet! WOW! But since its so cheep, get a pair of them in push pull!

But like I said, with great air comes great power! prepare to lose a finger or a few cables to its massive suction! (And dont try anything else...)

--Lupi!

halcyon

Splendid
Wrong. I HAD the Ultra Kaze 3K. I didn't have a fan controller...it sounded like a jet engine. It had to go. I've not seen seperate fan controllers but I'll check I could check Microcenter. The Kaze is a Scythe, it's quality is not in question.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hehe, I just have a sunbeam 4 port fan controller, will work with more than 8 fans, and mounts in a bay. Its like 14 bucks or so on new egg. Only bad thing the LEDs are way bright!

--Lupi

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
In the only direct comparisons I have been able to find the Xigmatek best's the TRUE (unlapped) by several degrees.

You can always put another fan on the much cheaper Xigmatek if you are putting other fans on the TRUE and the performance still would have the same results. As for lapping? Just because the 1283 is a direct-touch design doesn't mean it can't be lapped just like the TRUE, matter of fact it has been done on some reviews and gives a few more degrees just like the TRUE would.

Considering out-of-box performance, adding a comparable fan to the TRUE, and the fact it is much cheaper there is no good reason to choose the TRUE over the Xigmatek.

It took a while for many good reviews to get out there so I was skeptical and sat on the fence a while, finally broke down and got a Xigmatek 1283 and so far it works awesome! There is ONE caveat, it is a push-pin installation like the current stock intel cpu sinks. It still beats the TRUE in this configuration BUT you can buy a kit to actually screw that sucker down applying more pressure and it netted me about 4C better on temps. Along with the kit it is still a bit cheaper than the TRUE.

TRUE was a great heatsink a very long time but it has finally been overtaken :sweat: and cheaper to boot :sol: ! A no brainer until another sink comes out IMO. Course the proof is out there with a quick google search, whatever you decide I just hope you are happy with what you get.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I think the TRUE would be better when considering lower noise operation. Simply do a push-pull config with two silent fans. This can not be officially done on the Xigmatek.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Xigmatek S1283 all the way! It keeps my OC'd 3700+ (OC'd from 2.2 GHz to 3.0GHz) below 40C and I have never once heard the fan...even under full load. The fan normally runs at 1400rpm's, but I have set it as low as 400RPM's and it still keeps my processor cool. I've never had a need to increase the speed over 1400RPM's, so its tough for me to say how loud it could get...can't imagine anyone needing to go much higher with this.

Of course, my CPU has been lapped as well...so I'm getting great temps due in part to that as well as the cooler.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
This is the specification to look at, not how much are is moved, or how round the box it comes in.

Thermal Resistance: 0.17°C/Watt

The lower the .xx degree number divided by the wattage the better it cools.
Everything else but quiet, is just, HOOEY.

The cheaper and quieter the better.

momentkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Go for the xigmatek, just look at it:
newcooler.jpg

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Keep one thing in mind about the Scorpion and the 1284 as opposed to the 1283. These have both been tested compared to the 1283 results and both fell slightly short of the 1283 cooler. The two sites that reviewed these, the one for the 1284 is BenchmarkReviews.com, attributed this slightly worse performance to the fact that the Scorpion is essentially the same as the 1283 but with nickel plated pipes which degraded the performance slightly.

As for the 1284 benchmarkreviews.com http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=151&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5 said they believe the nickel plating in hand with the staggering of the pipes at the cpu contact point both attributed to it falling almost 2C "delta" behind the 1283. Oh btw, look at the second chart in that review for results if your tower is oriented vertically as most of us have it. The first chart is for those laying their case down or in an HTPC orientation :)

Eh for me at least, since both these nicely lit up more "bling" coolers do cost more yet perform "slightly" worse I still would put my $ on another 1283 when I build another system for a friend here in a couple weeks.

Those are my .02 anyway :) something to think about. Enjoy

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I do not know any thing about other HS
But ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme must be lapped
Without lapping it will start dancing if put on glass table
Do not know about all but mine was so

By the way which side better for installing fan??
To be blowing air onto HS or sucking air through it ??

halcyon

Splendid

Good ??

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Performancewise, I think the Xigmatek will beat the TRUE unlapped, and is definetely the choice if you are looking for something flashy, and blingish.

However, if you want the best performing air cooled heatsink, you will go out and pay 8 or 9 bucks for the sand paper you need to even the base out.

This is why I have bought 3 TRUEs in the past.

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
How have people been using thermal paste with the exposed heat pipe coolers?

Also which paste to use, it looks like cleaning to change paste would be nigh impossible.

Right now I have a 1283, and the white silicone paste that came with it and some OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound.