[SOLVED] Unlimited data wifi for rural areas

Oct 2, 2021
I recently moved into a new house that does not have DSL or fiber optics. I've got a pc that I play fps games on. I've got windows 10 pro, a rog strixs motherboard with built in wifi, ryzen 5 5600x cpu and a nivida 1660 graphics card. I'm looking for the best unlimited date plan that will actually be able to run big games with decent latency. Thank you in advance.

Solution
I would get on the waiting list for STARLINK asap. There's enough satellites now to offer decent service and the first laser beam(high bandwidth low latency interlink between other starlink satellites in orbit) satellites just launched into orbit. The main hangup is manufacturing of the CLIENT side "DISHY" devices. There are more pre-orders than starlink can actually make in a year. So you might have to wait until closer to 2023 to be able to buy the equipment.

You can get rural internet with 4G LTE and 5G, but you'll have really high latency(ping). Cellular ping also tends to fluctuate alot at any given time.

STARLINK is your only option for reasonable latency(ping) in the 20-30ms range.

If you live near a decent size...
The first thing you need to do is see if you can find out how neighbors get internet. The best option in your case is if you can find what is called a WISP. These use small dish like antenna pointed at some high location like a water tower.

Your next option is going to be a mobile telephone provider. You are going to have to read the fine print carefully. It is very rare to find a actual unlimited data plan that you can use a computer on. What is most important is which you get strong signal from. Does little good if some ISP offers some really great plan but they do not have a tower near your house. Note even the very best 4G cell systems are going to have random lag spikes when you play online games. It greatly depends on the signal level and how many other people you share the tower with.

Now if you live in the USA you might look into starlink . This are huge waiting lists for this and they only have a fraction of the satellites in orbit. Will be interesting to see how good the performance really is once a lot of people start using it.

Oct 2, 2021
CPU: ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: rog strixs b550 f
Ram: two 8 gig g skills
SSD/HDD: 500 gig ssd
GPU: nivida 1660
PSU: 650 watt psu
Monitor: Asus VG278

I would get on the waiting list for STARLINK asap. There's enough satellites now to offer decent service and the first laser beam(high bandwidth low latency interlink between other starlink satellites in orbit) satellites just launched into orbit. The main hangup is manufacturing of the CLIENT side "DISHY" devices. There are more pre-orders than starlink can actually make in a year. So you might have to wait until closer to 2023 to be able to buy the equipment.

You can get rural internet with 4G LTE and 5G, but you'll have really high latency(ping). Cellular ping also tends to fluctuate alot at any given time.

STARLINK is your only option for reasonable latency(ping) in the 20-30ms range.

If you live near a decent size community, WISP may also be another low latency option as bill said. Many of these providers use microwave broadband and set up towers in the community to provide internet. WISP was the defacto broadband standard in my area for about a decade until Comcast finally upgraded their systems to carry broadband in my area. WISP was only about 20-30mbps but latency was no worse than comcast.

Colorado has a fair number of WISP providers like CLEARNETWORX, but it really depends on what your closest city is. http://www.wirelessispinmyarea.com/colorado-wireless-internet-providers.html Even if cellular promises higher total bandwidth, I would go for a WISP with lower bandwidth because latency is so much better.

Last edited:
Solution