Unlimited hotspot from phone workaround

arianchandler42

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I have a Verizon unlimited plan, my phone is unable to be rooted (VS987 running Android 7.0) and none of the apps that are supposed to create unlimited hotspots actually work on it.

I am currently able to get unlimited USB tethering to my Windows 10 PC via PdaNet, however I am unable to create a WiFi connection from it, which is necessary for some of my devices.

Windows sees PdaNet's connection as a virtual network adapter with no internet connection, even though it definitely does. I cannot select it as a source for Win10's built in hotspot tool, and none of the programs I've tried work with it either. Creating a hotspot from the command line creates a WiFi connection with no internet.

I'm thinking maybe if there's a way to make Windows see this virtual network adapter as an Ethernet connection with internet it would work, but IDK if that's even possible.

Please don't ask me why I am going to all the trouble to make this work in the first place. Believe me, if I didn't absolutely have to, I wouldn't.

Thank you for your time and your answers!

Solution
Yes. The tricky part is getting the phone connected to Win10's virtual network adapter that is used for the hotspot. The steps are:

1. Connect your phone to PC via USB and start PdaNet.

2. Connect the PC to a different internet source of some kind. You can use the phone's regular hotspot if necessary.

3. Open the notification window at the far right of the taskbar and click Mobile hostpot. This will make the virtual network adapter used for the hotspot appear in Control Panel.

4. Go into Control Panel and select Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. At this point you should see at least 3 network connections, PdaNet Broadband Connection, The internet your computer is currently connected to, and Local Area Connection*N...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
most services use a separate network for phone data and hotspot data. it's how they know when you're using each one. pdanet and the others are attempting to use your hotspot data and then convince your phone it is actually using phone data. the phone knows this and is blocking it. that's why it is not working for you.

rotting your phone, if possible, would allow the apps to not try and trick the phone but rather simply broadcast your phone data as is. if you can't root it, then you are more than likely not going to be able to do what you are trying to do. verizon knows what it is doing with the data and makes sure the phone can't be tricked like this very easily.

as for what you are trying to do on your pc, i have no idea how/if that would work. don't know if it is even there anymore but the old internet connection sharing sounds like the right idea to me. would take whatever incoming connection was there and allow it to be shared. no clue if it would work with wifi but i've used it back in the day for ethernet connections easy enough. though i do believe that win xp was probably the last time i used it so not even sure it is even there anymore.

arianchandler42

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I found the solution. When you start a hotspot in Win10, it creates a virtual network adapter for other devices to connect to. However, that virtual network adapter only appears while the hotspot is running! Connecting the PC to a network it recognizes, such as a different WiFi connection or your phone's regular hotspot will make the Windows 10 virtual network adapter appear.

At this point you can activate PdaNet and set it's connection as shared through Win10's virtual network adapter. After that it's up and running!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so you've got a connection on the pc through usb tether. and then are broadcasting it through wifi to other devices? with basically your phone acting as the modem and pc as a router? am i understanding this right?

if so nice solution. i'm taking notes as it might come in handy down the road. who knows.

or am i misinterpreting your steps?

arianchandler42

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Yes. The tricky part is getting the phone connected to Win10's virtual network adapter that is used for the hotspot. The steps are:

1. Connect your phone to PC via USB and start PdaNet.

2. Connect the PC to a different internet source of some kind. You can use the phone's regular hotspot if necessary.

3. Open the notification window at the far right of the taskbar and click Mobile hostpot. This will make the virtual network adapter used for the hotspot appear in Control Panel.

4. Go into Control Panel and select Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. At this point you should see at least 3 network connections, PdaNet Broadband Connection, The internet your computer is currently connected to, and Local Area Connection*N (where N is a random number) this last one is the virtual network adapter used for the hostpot.

5.Click on PdaNet Broadband Connection, click properties, then switch to the Sharing tab.

6. Check the box that says "Allow other network user to connect through this computer's internet connection"

7. In the dropdown menu, click on Local Area Connection*N, and then click OK. You have just linked PdaNet to Win10's hotspot!

At this point you can disconnect your PC from whatever other internet connection you had, and your cellular hotspot should be up and running!

Solution