Unloadable CD R driver

rod

I've just upgraded XP Pro to SP2 and now every time I start up i get a
balloon warning that "A CD witing driver will not be loaded as this would
make your computer unstable." On investigation it seems the file in question
is cdralw2K.sys (version 1.00). The Pop-up Help & Support screen's
suggestions lead to blind web links. As a result I now cannot write anything
to CD. The only CD writing software on the mahine is what's built into
Windows.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
--
Confused of Yorkshire

Check here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315345

or ;q314060]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];q314060

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded XP Pro to SP2 and now every time I start up i get a
> balloon warning that "A CD witing driver will not be loaded as this would
> make your computer unstable." On investigation it seems the file in
> question
> is cdralw2K.sys (version 1.00). The Pop-up Help & Support screen's
> suggestions lead to blind web links. As a result I now cannot write
> anything
> to CD. The only CD writing software on the mahine is what's built into
> Windows.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> --