Unlocked GSM phone with best camera for ~$400

ciscocbee

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hi all,

I want to buy my first smart phone. I currently have an old candy bar phone I pay ~ $10/ month with AT&T pay as you go. This is simply because I make very few phone calls and have no use in general for a smart phone (although I am also going to Europe on vacation in May and I'd like a way to check email easily while there).

What I do have a use for is a portable camera that I can (and will) take everywhere, since I don't lug my DSLR camera with my everywhere. It seems a phone is the answer. So I'm thinking about the Nokia 1020, since it is (unlocked) $350. it is, however, a few years old but since I really am not planning on using it for much more than pictures and video recording, and the odd surfing, I think it should be OK.

Are there any other phones in the same price range I should be looking at? I want it to be GSM, and my main concern is picture quality.

Thanks,

Pete

Solution
The 1020 is your best bet for camera quality.
However, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1 will eventually be introduced into the carrier market... and it would fit your budget at that point.

At the moment, the DMC-CM1 is the 1020s only competition... but the 1020 is <$300 and the DMC-CM1 is over $900.
The 1020 is your best bet for camera quality.
However, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1 will eventually be introduced into the carrier market... and it would fit your budget at that point.

At the moment, the DMC-CM1 is the 1020s only competition... but the 1020 is <$300 and the DMC-CM1 is over $900.

Solution