[SOLVED] Unlocking Core Voltage In a non-6pin gpu

Dec 31, 2020
Hey guys, I have a Nvidia geforce GT240. Don't say it sucks cause in my country gpu are not too cheap. So only that I can afford for now. And this is my question: I have used MSI AfterBurner But I've never unlocked the voltage control cause this gpu has no 6pin connection so I scared that if I unlock it, maybe it will blown my gpu......but if I not unlocking it, maybe it cause a problem and that is I can't overclock it to 610mHz. I only can overclock it for 600 mHz. After that, the driver just stopped working and it limited to 405mHz I need to restart my to get back to 600 mHz. So, any tips in unlocking core voltage?

Solution
If you're using MSI afterburner you should be able to unlock the core voltage control in settings > general tab > compatibility section > "unlock voltage control [third party]". Though this won't do anything for you, you won't see any performance difference. This feature is for hard-core overclockers who have flashed their graphics card with a modified VBIOS (GPU firmware) that allows for the card to pull more voltage than the manufacturer intended. For example, my 2080 Ti VBIOS allows the GPU to pull 1.093V out of the box. If I unlocked the voltage control and put it at 100% on MSI afterburner, the card will only pull 1.093V because that's what the VBIOS allows, but even without doing this, my GPU already pulls 1.093V - so my...
If you're using MSI afterburner you should be able to unlock the core voltage control in settings > general tab > compatibility section > "unlock voltage control [third party]". Though this won't do anything for you, you won't see any performance difference. This feature is for hard-core overclockers who have flashed their graphics card with a modified VBIOS (GPU firmware) that allows for the card to pull more voltage than the manufacturer intended. For example, my 2080 Ti VBIOS allows the GPU to pull 1.093V out of the box. If I unlocked the voltage control and put it at 100% on MSI afterburner, the card will only pull 1.093V because that's what the VBIOS allows, but even without doing this, my GPU already pulls 1.093V - so my performance remains the same, nothing's changed. Now, hypothetically if I flashed my 2080 Ti with a modified VBIOS that would draw 1.1V, then this feature would actually affect my performance but kill my card much faster.

So conclusion, unlocking voltage control won't do anything if you're running on a stock VBIOS and I wouldn't recommend flashing your VBIOS to a modified version that allows more voltage since it'll kill your card quicker. Though if you realllllllly want to try, you'll need to scower the web for a modified VBIOS for YOUR SPECIFIC MODEL CARD that allows more Voltage to be pulled. Though I do not recommend this for novices as you may brick/destroy your card permanently in the process if you do it wrong.

Reactions: MrBearIsHere
Solution