rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
can i unlock phenom ii dual core or tri core processors to get a quad core.What should be the system requirements?Or should i directly buy pheno ii x4 processors?
i am in confusion.

Solution
You can only unlock the extra one/two cores on the Phenom II X2/X3 sometimes, if the disabled core(s) is/are not defective, and trying to unlock them can cause system instability, if the cores are defective. To unlock extra cores you need to have a motherboard which has the AMD southbridge SB710 or SB750 which supports ACC. Or, you can unlock cores with the 'Core Unlocker' feature on the ASUS 890GX motherboards.

If you actually want a quad core though, you should get a Phenom II X4, but there is a relatively good chance that the Phenom II X2 or Phenom II X3 will unlock into a quad core though.
You can only unlock the extra one/two cores on the Phenom II X2/X3 sometimes, if the disabled core(s) is/are not defective, and trying to unlock them can cause system instability, if the cores are defective. To unlock extra cores you need to have a motherboard which has the AMD southbridge SB710 or SB750 which supports ACC. Or, you can unlock cores with the 'Core Unlocker' feature on the ASUS 890GX motherboards.

If you actually want a quad core though, you should get a Phenom II X4, but there is a relatively good chance that the Phenom II X2 or Phenom II X3 will unlock into a quad core though.

Solution

Idubbz

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I just got the X2 555 BE, and haven't tried unlocking the cores yet. I wanted to add that the MSI boards with Nvidia chipsets are also supposed to be able to do this, using the Nvidia Automatic Core Calibration. Like I said, I haven't worked out the details, but I know other users have been able to do it on these chipsets.

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS