unlocking xp - dead cpu - please help

G

I tried to unlock xp 1800+ with conductive fluid(Rear window defogger kit) and nail polish. After that I cannot get my machine to boot. I tried cleaning up the processor completely still it does nt boot. Looks like it is short circuiting(Thats what soyo draogon plus) motherboad manual tells me(No beeps at all and nothing comes up). If I change the CPU it works. Hence the problemn is CPU.

Will really appreciate any pointers as to how to get my CPU working...(Should I be using multimeter to test the L1 bridges?)

Please help...
Thanks

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Crossing the bridges will not harm the cpu, but if they are shorted you will not boot, you have to remove the defogger lines somehow, try sandpaper.(serious). You wont be able to unlock it, but you will be able to boot it, is the unlocking attempt visible.(try scoring it with a razor blade as well.)

Be careful next time!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
What did you try to clean it with? Try nail polish remover, I used that on mine when I needed to fix the super glue I used to close the laser locks. Just use a q-tip or something of that nature to use it and remove it. Plus, try to make the connections smaller in width. mine are a hair thin, and it still unlocked.

Crashing takes a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Yes, use the multi meter, otherwise there is no real way to see if you have crossed the bridges, or connected them to the ground.... test them between the triangle near the L!, and also between one of the circles. these are all ground..

G

Try to reset your BIOS, when i unlocked my friends 1700+ , it just wouldn't boot so i reset the BIOS and it works just fine now

G

I tried cleaning with nail polish remover. But still it doesnt come up. Will try checking with the multimeter. Can you guys tell me what exactly I need to look for when using multimeter?

Alos once I cleaned up with the solution I can see the pits in gold color. Would this be the problem?

Thanks... You guys really have been very helpful...

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
The pits? in between the dots { :::: look like this) they should be black dashes inbetween metallic dots. Use the multimeter, set it to test resistance. Place one end of the prob on either side of the bridge to see if it is conducting properly. after that , place one on different connections, and see if they are connecting. (If you are not familiar with the meter, touch the 2 leads together while it is in mode to test resistance (ohms). That will tell you what to look for when testing your connections. Also, have you watched Tom's video on unlocking the xp? it is a big download, but if you connectyion is slow, I bet it would still be worth the time to possibly save your 150 dollar processor.