[SOLVED] Unnecessarily slow download speeds ?

MItch_B

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
I have always used ethernet on my pc, and last week my dog ate through my cable, so I went and bought a new one. I have had a recurring issue with this new cable, where I can get my full download speed of 25MBps for about 10 seconds when I first initiate a download, regardless of if it is on steam, battle.net, origin, any platform. I get down to like 250kbps and it takes hours for small games. My speed in google and ookla's speed tests is around 210-225Megabits so it should be around 27megabytes from steam, which it used to hold just fine. I do not even understand what could cause this problem, and I have hit a point where I am debating resetting my entire pc to try to fix this.

Edit: while downloading payday 2 it just shot up to 26.8MBps and has stayed there. I still just am dumbfounded at what is causing it to drop and stay so low sometimes ?

Last edited:
Solution
I would try another cable, maybe you got a bad one.

If your dog was tugging on the ports, then maybe the pins are a little bent, perhaps inspect your ports to ensure they look right.

MItch_B

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
I would try another cable, maybe you got a bad one.

If your dog was tugging on the ports, then maybe the pins are a little bent, perhaps inspect your ports to ensure they look right.
Alrighty I'll try to get another cable, I don't think the pins would get very bent, old cable was a 75' cable and it only had to cover about 15' and hes a 7lb chihuahua but it couldn't hurt to try to see if they are bent.

TRENDING THREADS