Unofficial BBC News App Pulled from Windows Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fools. They could have offered him some money for the effort so far and hire him to maintain/develop this as an official BBC app. Win-win.
Instead, they chose to drop the fine print on him and now they have no app exposure. Lose-lose.

G

thats a big shame, I use this app on my WP8 and its great, shame that its been removed, I hope that they can sort something out to bring it back

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
BBC is supposed to be a non-commercial organisation, but in practive it is far from it, outside the UK they gouge every penny possible from selling DVDs of programs and advertising
If the apps in WP were free, but they had a pay-for one on Android, they likely have an agreement with Google not to allow a rival app on WP and have taken their 30 pieces of silver to not develop an official one
The person that loses most is the consumer thanks to the BBC being a bunch of slimy, triple faced, backstabbing Judases

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
BBC is supposed to be a non-commercial organisation, but in practise it is far from it, outside the UK they gouge every penny possible from selling DVDs of programs and advertising

You think DVD sales and advertising is wrong? How quaint.

No, the BBC is not some magical "not-for-profit". They have a licence system in the UK and then normal distribution systems outside of the UK.

The official BBC news app is free as far as I can tell. I am also unsurprised that they don't want a 3rd party controlling the distribution of their content.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Idiots. They could have offered him some money for the effort so far and hire him to maintain/develop this as an official BBC app. Win-win. Instead, they chose to drop the fine print on him and now they have no app exposure. Lose-lose.[/citation]
True. I sometimes wish people wouldn't fix the problems of big corps, maybe it would force them to improve themselves.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eiskrystal[/nom]You think DVD sales and advertising is wrong? How quaint.No, the BBC is not some magical "not-for-profit". They have a licence system in the UK and then normal distribution systems outside of the UK.The official BBC news app is free as far as I can tell. I am also unsurprised that they don't want a 3rd party controlling the distribution of their content.[/citation]
Thanks, seeing as I live in the UK and have done so pretty much every day barring holidays in all my 39 years I think I know how the BBC is run very well, but thanks for asking
No, I don't think that selling DVDs is wrong but they shouldn't have advertising, that is a point of principle on which the corporation was founded and the license fee is the extension of that as a publicly funded organisation that are not influenced by commercial interests, if they transmit outside the UK they should have a subscription model similar to HBO

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
After a bit of checking, BBC are launching the iPlayer App for WP in the next few weeks, as that includes the BBC News 24 channel that is likely to to supercede any existing BBC News App
I don't mind that, but axing an existing app well in advance of a working replacement is a bit shoddy and disrepectful of the userbase

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Fools. They could have offered him some money for the effort so far and hire him to maintain/develop this as an official BBC app. Win-win. Instead, they chose to drop the fine print on him and now they have no app exposure. Lose-lose.[/citation]
Why would you ever go from working for Microsoft (an Fortune 500 software company) to BBC (a news company that's prob been laying off employees due to the web)

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
if they transmit outside the UK they should have a subscription model similar to HBO

That implies that a subscription model is best for it's customers (or even available within a particular country) and frankly i'll take advertising over subscriptions. Advertising does not go against their charter to use commercial subsidiaries as long as they don't go against its "UK public purpose" and as long as the advertising is peripheral and not endorsed by the BBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.