Question Unplayable stutters and FPS drops in most games

Sep 26, 2020
Hey, so I recently upgraded my CPU (i5 2400) to an i7 2600. The i7 preforms so much better but my fps goes from 144 to 20 ALOT. I have been getting stutters and fps drops especially in fortnite. When I land the game is literally unplayable, anytime you move your mouse its at 10 fps and then at 144 and then at 20.. Also in warzone - roblox SOMETIMES, and alot of other games..

My specs:

Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHZ
ASUS Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
8 gigabytes of ram
1tb HDD
OptiPlex 390
0M5DCD Motherboard
CX450 PSU

Sep 26, 2020
check cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
what the cpu cooler?
gpu temp is around 50-60, same with cpu

both usage is around 70-80 but when its stuttering it can go from like 1% usage too like 40% usage, its so weird like some games dont stutter but some games do. cooler is stock. (this is in fortnite btw)

Last edited:
Stuttering is usually because of the cpu.
I have a suspicion that you might be throttling.
Run HWmonitor.
It will show the current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
Look first at the minimum temperature.
If your cooler is mounted properly you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
Look at the maximum after experiencing stutters.
If you see 100c. you have likely throttled.

Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards; see if that helps.

I7-2600 is going to run hotter and perhaps a more effective cpu cooler would help.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan should be sufficient.
Noctua and bequiet make decent ones.
CM hyper212 is cheap, but a bit difficult to mount level.

In case you need to remount your stock cooler, here is my stock text on that:

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 26, 2020
Stuttering is usually because of the cpu.
I have a suspicion that you might be throttling.
Run HWmonitor.
It will show the current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
Look first at the minimum temperature.
If your cooler is mounted properly you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
Look at the maximum after experiencing stutters.
If you see 100c. you have likely throttled.

Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards; see if that helps.

I7-2600 is going to run hotter and perhaps a more effective cpu cooler would help.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan should be sufficient.
Noctua and bequiet make decent ones.
CM hyper212 is cheap, but a bit difficult to mount level.

In case you need to remount your stock cooler, here is my stock text on that:

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey, sorry for the very late response I was at my football practice. so i used the hwmonitor thing and fortnite literally couldnt even open up it kept crashing - also my temps im looking at is the one that says "package", so when I dont even have anything open the min is 44 degrees C and the max is 62 degrees C - when I opened roblox it stayed the same. The cooler im using is the one that came with my optiplex 390... Also, everytime I turn my pc on it takes forever if that has to do with anything? It didnt do that with my i5.. Maybe is it because I put on too much thermal paste? So, my temps are high so Im guessing that means my cooler is mounted wrong. Would you like me too take a picture of the inside of my case?

Sep 26, 2020
Ok that’s good. What’s the HDD usage while in game?
(this is fortnite) when Im first loading into the game and all textures are loading in, the disk usage is obviously high because everything is loading in. after that, when I drop from the bus - the disk usage is still also kind of high because textures and everything is still loading. after everything is loaded, my disk usage goes too like 30-40 and never goes higher than 70 (when everything is loaded) also, something called "system" was sometimes using alot of my disk usage.

(this is fortnite) when Im first loading into the game and all textures are loading in, the disk usage is obviously high because everything is loading in. after that, when I drop from the bus - the disk usage is still also kind of high because textures and everything is still loading. after everything is loaded, my disk usage goes too like 30-40 and never goes higher than 70 (when everything is loaded) also, something called "system" was sometimes using alot of my disk usage.
Ok, rules my next idea out.

Sep 26, 2020
Long shot. Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.
hold on, im not 100% sure right now but I think I fixed it. I played a couple games and it was not stuttering - what I did was move my computer too a different position and take the cooler out for my cpu, reapply thermal paste, and mount it back. I haven't stuttered yet... like I said I dont know for sure though yet.