Unplug other drives when restoring a system image?

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hey, I've tried searching for this but not found it.

I'm restoring my old failed SSD system image backup onto my new one. Should I unplug my other drives (HDD) when doing so?

When I went to 'load drivers' in the recovery, restore system image section to take a peek at what it did (I thought my system image wasn't showing, didn't realise it wasn't supposed to until next step) there was already a 'New Volume C' before I've done anything which seems a little odd. I don't want to screw anything up and make it so my SSD and OS aren't C drive somehow. Or will everything go back to normal once I restore the drive?

Other than this everything seems fine . Thanks. ^.^

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I freaked out because I had the "1) Grayed out and selected" option shown here. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html so I've shut down and unplugged the other drives even though it did let me tick drives to exclude... it was just too worrying. I don't want my other drives touched, I just hope it doesn't mess up my restore since those drives existed when I made the system image.

but then again http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/151692-Windows-7-System-Image-Restore

I'm hoping it's fine either way since the restore option should be about the c drive only? However my actual backup was of all drives.

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Ughhhh "Windows image restore (Error code 0x80070057; "the parameter is incorrect"). I found this thread but I don't understand the solution:

"I called MS and they told me that you can't do an image restore unless ALL the drives are exactly as they were. Meaning when I was using my jump drive to initiate the recovery (because I can't eject the recovery disk to put in the image disk), it was counting that as a drive. So no go on using a jump drive to initiate the Windows Recovery Environment. That was what was the "the parameter is incorrect; 0x80070057" error.

I figured out a workaround that I should have seen INSTANTLY. All this time, it's been there. When you're selecting an image, Microsoft realized some people might have their images on external drives which require special drivers. You just go there and wala, you see a Browse icon. Go in there, right-click the optical drive, eject, put in the one with the image."

I don't understand where "there" is... eject an optical drive and put in the one which the image what?!! And does "ALL drives" mean I have to plug in my other drives again. UGH. Why doesn't this make sense. :(
This thread says just to yank out the USB with my bootable drive on it right before restoring... I tried that and it said I needed to restart. This was after I'd gotten the error message so perhaps I need to start again from the boot menu... :S

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Oh I see what they're saying. This person used the browse menu which is meant for installing drivers pre-system recovery to eject their bootable DVD and then replace that with their system image DVD because when they used a bootable USB it counted as a disc itself...

Well I don't have a bootable DVD and couldn't get it to work so I guess I'll have to try the second option. This is so daft. :( Even if yanking the drive (which is accidentally counting as another drive) works then it might still fail because my other drives aren't connected? How will I even know? :(

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
It failed again because "no disc that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found." >.>

Why did I trust Windows' software? At this rate it would be quicker for me to do the ridiculous install of W7 using an bootable update code and call Microsoft thing...