Question Unplugging and re-plugging SATA port decrease its performance?

Ishit Arya

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I had to do fresh windows install and I didn't wanted to format my media drive by mistake so I took extra steps and unplugged SATA port from my motherboard which was connected to the HDD. After the OS installation I did a benchmark and noticed my read/write speed went down significantly.

While I was plugging the SATA port back in the motherboard I heard a loud click sound, it was probably came from SATA steel lock. I'm not worried about my HDD drive, I'm worried about if my motherboard SATA port is damaged while I was connecting it back in. While I was connecting, I did my best to connect it gently and w/o force, maybe that's why steel lock sounded extremely loud since there was not enough force pushing it down to lock itself.

The higher speed benchmark was taken when my HDD had 400GB free space left, currently it has only 190GB space but then I don't know if extra available space caused my drive to perform faster.

Before OS Installation read/write-

Sequential (MB/s)
READ- 142 WRITE-142
Random (IOPS)
READ- 181 WRITE-244

After OS Installation read/write-

Sequential (MB/s)
READ-117 WRITE-117
Random (IOPS)
READ- 181 WRITE-244

Ishit Arya

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
It hurts only if you physically wear out the port.

You're seeing different (lower) numbers, because you're now running the benchmark on the OS drive.
Windows is doing its thing at the same time as the benchmark application.

I don't quite understand what you meant by "You're seeing different (lower) numbers, because you're now running the benchmark on the OS drive "

The software I used to benchmark is "Samsung Magician" which was and is installed in same drive (Samsung 970 pro) before and after windows fresh install.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't quite understand what you meant by "You're seeing different (lower) numbers, because you're now running the benchmark on the OS drive "

The software I used to benchmark is "Samsung Magician" which was and is installed in same drive (Samsung 970 pro) before and after windows fresh install.
Where is Windows installed?
From your original description, there was no mention of the 970 or Samsung Magician.
I read (misread) it as the OS was installed on the drive you were testing.

Those numbers are from a spinning HDD, a secondary drive?

Ishit Arya

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Where is Windows installed?
From your original description, there was no mention of the 970 or Samsung Magician.
I read (misread) it as the OS was installed on the drive you were testing.

Those numbers are from a spinning HDD, a secondary drive?

The OS is installed in Samsung 970 pro and yes, those numbers are from spinning HDD, a secondary drive

TRENDING THREADS