Unplugging headphones causes BSOD

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hello,

I have a pair of BeyerDynamic MMX 300's that I plug into an ASUS Xonar DG Audio Card. Whenever I try to make sure the headphones/microphone input are plugged in all the way my PC gets the Blue Screen Error and crashes. I checked to see if there are any newer drivers, and do in fact have the latest ones. Just wondering if anyone has a fix to this issue.

Audio Driver Version: Version 7.0.8.1821

Also, I use the Xonar DG Audio card because to the little knowledge I have, it's supposed to amplify my headphones slightly. I've read online that onboard audio is so advanced now that it might be better than one of these lower end audio cards. Would using my onboard audio be better?

P.S. I do have onboard audio disabled.

Thank you, and I appreciate any and all help that I can get.

MB: ASUS P8P67-PRO (Rev 3.1)
CPU: i5-2500k (4.5ghz)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (4x4gb)
PSU: Antec 620w
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 240gb
HS: Hyper 212+ (Artic Silver 5 thermal compound)
2x120mm mounted on Hyper 212+ (Push/Pull)
1x200mm, 1x120mm ( Intake)
1x200mm, 1x120mm ( out)
Push/Pull Configuration
Mouse: Zowie EC-1A
Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB
Monitor: BenQ XL2410T 120hz (1920x1080)

Solution
Have you tried re-installing the drivers? Also, have you considered installing community drivers? Typically they use newer firmware that Asus doesn't bother updating their drivers with.

Link: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

As far as whether it's better than your on-board, try it out. I have a Xonar DG and I don't bother disabling on-board through BIOS, I just disable it in Windows in case a program tries to use it (hasn't happened before for me). Use a budget Gigabyte board so I notice that the DG sounds slightly better in both music and surround sound in gaming but I mainly use it because of the headphone amp. It helps my HyperX Cloud Core a little bit.

Also, can you check if you get this same problem with your...

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Have you tried re-installing the drivers? Also, have you considered installing community drivers? Typically they use newer firmware that Asus doesn't bother updating their drivers with.

Link: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

As far as whether it's better than your on-board, try it out. I have a Xonar DG and I don't bother disabling on-board through BIOS, I just disable it in Windows in case a program tries to use it (hasn't happened before for me). Use a budget Gigabyte board so I notice that the DG sounds slightly better in both music and surround sound in gaming but I mainly use it because of the headphone amp. It helps my HyperX Cloud Core a little bit.

Also, can you check if you get this same problem with your on-board audio?

Solution

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Thank you for the response. After extensive experimenting with your suggestions, the problem was simply fixed by reinstalling the drivers. I'm not sure if it's a temporary fix, or a permanent one, but as of right now I've unplugged my headset 5 times, and did not get the BSOD.

The issue didn't occur on my on-board either, but I'm not sure if that was due to using different inputs.

Also, I was really interested in trying out those community drivers, but I was having a lot problems installing. I tried installing version 1.75a r3, but the install would take close to 5 minutes, and hang at the end. It would eventually tell me to plug in my Xonar DG device, but my headset was connected. I tried unplugging and replugging my headset with no success, and I tried installing v1.80a r3, but that wouldn't even launch the installer. It would also make my PC hang when restarting, I would have to hard restart in order to get back into my OS.

Thank you for the help, if you have any ideas on how I can get community drivers running, I would love to try them!

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Also, I am getting a lot of complaints about feedback in my microphone, turning AEC in Xonar DG Audio Center solves the problem, do you know of any reason I shouldn't use it for 3D Gaming? I play the FPS Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
AEC just tries to cancel out the speaker output from the microphone. It will only affect the microphone so as long as they say it's better, that's alright. I haven't had any issues with it but I normally use headphones so I don't have much experience with it.

You might be confusing it with EAX. That is the setting that you should keep turned off since it can crash games.

As far as having trouble installing community drivers, I didn't have any issues. I installed them and they uninstalled the default ones at the same time. From memory, they made Dolby Headphone sound better but I think that was about it.

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Thank you for the response once again, but I have a bit of bad news. When I tested to see if the problem still occurred by plugging and unplugging my headset 5 times, I did so while in windows. I tried again while in-game, and the BSOD did return. Not sure what the problem is, but it maybe it involves my GPU being under load? Maybe it's a CPU related issue? Do you think I should have realtek drivers enabled in my device manager?

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I've never had this issue before so it's a bit of guesswork. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the Asus drivers because they're pretty much never updated and can have issues. I think the solution would be installing community drivers, but as you said, it didn't work last time.

Someone who had the issue of the card not being detected said to uninstall your Nvidia drivers and Realtek drivers, run CCleaner (link below), restart and then install the community drivers. Reinstall your other drivers as well. Might work but not sure what else to try. Have you made sure EAX isn't activated? (Look at the bottom right of the Xonar menu and click Hi-Fi).

Links:
- Possible solution: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f23/solved-asus-xonar-dg-driver-failures-776466.html
- CCleaner (free version is fine): http://www.piriform.com/CCleaner

Also have you read this? Might have some solutions:
- http://maxedtech.com/uni-xonar-faq-troubleshooting-guide/#q1

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Unfortunately, I still was not able to get community drivers to work. I tried uninstalling Nvidia drivers & Realtek drivers, ran CCleaner, and had no luck. The best quality I am able to get is if I plug my microphone into my onboard audio, and keep my headphones hooked up to my Xonar DG, but then I have to keep both drivers enabled. If I keep both headphones + mic hooked up to the my Xonar DG, I have to keep AEC enabled, which I believe distorts my positional in-game sound. It also changes my Output Device PCM from Headphones to 2 Speakers. You can see it in this picture. ( https://gyazo.com/4ad910aef89ea858214f980f287c78a1 )

Also, I looked into EAX and my Drivers don't have that feature. All I have is AEC. I really wish I knew why the UNI drivers aren't installing properly, I've seen on other forums that those driver's seem to fix a lot of the issues I am having.