Question Unplugging one monitor kills another ?

Mar 11, 2022
Hey guys, I have a monitor issue that blacks out my primary screen in a very particular way. So I have 3 monitors plugged into an ASUS 3060TI. 2 computer monitors by DP and a tv by HDMI. When all 3 are plugged in there are no issues. But if I unplug the tv my primary monitor goes black but stays backlit. The weird part is my second monitor is unaffected and shows in the device manager that the second screen is working fine. Apps even stay running with audio on my primary screen but I cannot see anything until I plug the tv back in.

such a bizarre issue any thoughts?

Ralston18

Titan
You mentioned that you "unplug the tv". Why is that being done instead of just turning the TV off?

Does the primary monitor go black if the TV is simply just turned off?

Make and model information: two monitors and TV.

Are all three connected to a common power source: surge protector, power strip, wall outlet?

What about the host computer?

What audio connections are in place?

Mar 11, 2022
You mentioned that you "unplug the tv". Why is that being done instead of just turning the TV off?

Does the primary monitor go black if the TV is simply just turned off?

Make and model information: two monitors and TV.

Are all three connected to a common power source: surge protector, power strip, wall outlet?

What about the host computer?

What audio connections are in place?
I do not want a 3rd monitor anymore and it doesn’t make sense for my primary monitor to NEED a 3rd monitor to display picture.

the monitor is fine if the tv is off and only blacks out when the tv is unplugged from the pc.

tv is a 4k smart tv by element. Not sure of the model.

all 3 monitors have different power sources all of them power strips.

the host computer has power from the same place as the primary monitor.

and the only audio connection is my hyper x 7.1 headset hardlined into the motherboard.

Ralston18

Titan
"it doesn’t make sense for my primary monitor to NEED a 3rd monitor to display picture.

Absolutely agree.

Regarding:

"all 3 monitors have different power sources all of them power strips. "

My suggestion is to sketch out a simple diagram of all that is involved: devices, power strips, cables, power sources, wall outlets, etc..

Post the sketch here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Also include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Need to get a sense of the bigger picture here. (No pun intended.)