Unplugging power cord

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Michael Salem wrote:

> I'm not advocating that these things should be done, but don't feel that
> you have necessarily caused irreversible damage if you make a mistake.

Thanks. IMHO, tis true.

Michael Salem wrote:

> There has been a lot of comment here to the effect that you need to
> chain yourself to your work before daring to let thoughts of opening the
> carton containing memory, cards, etc. OK, I exaggerate; and I do agree
> that precautions should be taken against static, and machines totally
> powered down before plugging things in. The danger is not just of
> totally destroying things (not too serious, just replace), but of
> causing more subtle damage which doesn't show up immediately.
>
> But we've all seen fairly careless handling of bare electronics, and
> working on the innards of plugged-in ATX machines, with little trouble.
>
> I am reminded of the book, years ago, about the development of a new DEC
> machine ("The birth of a new machine" or something similar). There was a
> desperate rush on, and everyone regularly plugged in and removed
> ordinary DIL chips with no precautions. While CMOS chips may be more
> static-sensitive than TTL, I don't know whether they are more vulnerable
> to plugging in like this. My own experience is only of removing and
> inserting PC BIOS chips into running machines (after a failed BIOS
> reprogramming); never any trouble.
>
> And there is a PCI standard designed to allow specially designed cards
> to be plugged in and removed from a running machine (24/7/365.25 server,
> typically).
>
> I don't want to take the risk, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to
> find that (un)plugging ordinary PCI cards live, and other things, are
> only slightly hazardous.
>
> On the other hand, I have heard of PC motherboards that were blown by
> plugging in a keyboard (DIM connector).
>
> I'm not advocating that these things should be done, but don't feel that
> you have necessarily caused irreversible damage if you make a mistake.
>
> Best wishes,

Fortunately, no one in here ever accidentally drops a conductive object
inside, cocks a card, tries to plug memory in backwards, or any of the
other 'oops' things that happen only on other planets.

Johannes H Andersen wrote:

> JAD wrote:
> >
> > <,The recommendation from Crucial is to keep the power cord in place
> > when>
> >
> > your nuts and so is crucial (if in fact that's what they said).....
> > power cord in, with power running to it and no switch on the PSU means
> > power to the memory and to the PCI slots, plugging a mod in when this
> > is the scenario will bust that mod.
>
> Obviously the PSU is in OFF state, hence no power to motherboard at all.
> The front switch may be connected to the motherboard, but all it does
> is connecting/disconnecting two wires that comes out of the PSU, this
> signalling the PSU to go ON/OFF. So no nuts today I'm afraid.

We have basically two statements "when power switch is off, power gets
to circuitry" and "no it doesn't".

Some power, at least. must be supplied, as computers support wake-up on
LAN, on modem, at a specified time, etc. On the other hand, this is not
normal full power, and is, as far as I know, unlikely to cause damage
under most circumstances.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote:

><,The recommendation from Crucial is to keep the power cord in place
>when>
>
>your nuts and so is crucial (if in fact that's what they said).....
>power cord in, with power running to it and no switch on the PSU means
>power to the memory and to the PCI slots, plugging a mod in when this
>is the scenario will bust that mod.

Power to PCI slots perhaps, but why power to RAM? Not unless you're in
suspend.

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> Power to PCI slots perhaps, but why power to RAM? Not unless you're
in
> suspend.

why? I don't know...is it the same on all MB's I don't know..I know
on a not too old asus board it did and caused a 'short' power up
......and My experience with the modem.....I never take chance if I
don't need to. Maybe a boot time influence?........besides when is it
EVER safe to work on electronics when you have a live source plugged
in?