[SOLVED] Unplugging the PC / switching off the on/off button on PSU during the night?

Nov 4, 2020
Hello everyone. I've got a powerline in my room to have access to wired internet connection, but when nothing is connected to it, (pc being off thus no internet connection), it emits a weird screeching noice. Its so irritating that i need to unplug the whole thing from the wall for it to stop so i could sleep. Now here is the question, unplugging the powerline from the wall means unplugging my pc as well every night. Is this ok? Could something bad happen to the psu or the motherboard with all this plugging/unplugging? And one follow up question, should i switch off the button on the psu before unplugging? I should note that my pc is always properly shut down when i do the unplugging of course.

Solution
unplugging the powerline from the wall means unplugging my pc as well every night. Is this ok?

No. Don't do that. Just find a way to unplug the router or figure out why the router is making screeching noises (it shouldn't).

PC's are designed to be "always on" with a +5V standby rail and a fully charged bulk capacitor. Everytime you unplug the PC, the bulk cap drains and it has to recharge again when you plug it back in. This is causing unnecessary strain.
unplugging the powerline from the wall means unplugging my pc as well every night. Is this ok?

No. Don't do that. Just find a way to unplug the router or figure out why the router is making screeching noises (it shouldn't).

PC's are designed to be "always on" with a +5V standby rail and a fully charged bulk capacitor. Everytime you unplug the PC, the bulk cap drains and it has to recharge again when you plug it back in. This is causing unnecessary strain.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS