[SOLVED] UnRaid server with gaming VMs - ECC or gaming RAM?

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
I'm upgrading my UnRaid server. I am currently planning on using a Threadripper CPU. I'd like to use ECC RAM but I also plan on running a few gaming VMs with it, but that creates an issue. ECC would be good for the UnRaid part as it's on 24/7 and runs a lot of Docker apps and such. But ECC RAM is also much slower and probably not very good for gaming. So I am at a crossroads as to what to do. I was thinking maybe I could just have a few DIMMS filled with ECC for UnRaid to use and the VMs can use the gaming RAM but I'm not even sure if that's possible. I'd love to hear some opinions on the matter.

Last edited:
Solution
That's not a bad suggestion but, yeah, it would be a hassle since I'd have to power down all the time. The other issue is I am having a really hard time finding any ECC unbuffered RAM. Most of them are smaller modules, which I would rather avoid. The motherboards I've narrowed down all have 8 DIMMS and up to 32gb per module, so I'd like to get 32mb modules, not necessarily all 8. I would rather just add more modules if I need or decide to max out, instead of replacing 16gb or 8gb modules
32gb ecc udimms are always a unicorn, usually costing more then the ecc registered modules or the non-ecc udimms. If your board will take ecc reg, I would use those as you'll find them in 32GB (even 64GB if you want to pay), with 16GB modules...
ECC will be a lot more stable. So if you don't want crashes or errors on unraid, you'd want to stick with ecc. You can't run both or the ecc will probably just run like non-ecc.

And that does bring up an idea--you can swap out the ram when you want to game, but that's a real hassle.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm upgrading my UnRaid server. I am currently planning on using a Threadripper CPU. I'd like to use ECC RAM but I also plan on running a few gaming VMs with it, but that creates an issue. ECC would be good for the UnRaid part as it's on 24/7 and runs a lot of Docker apps and such. But ECC RAM is also much slower and probably not very good for gaming. So I am at a crossroads as to what to do. I was thinking maybe I could just have a few DIMMS filled with ECC for UnRaid to use and the VMs can use the gaming RAM but I'm not even sure if that's possible. I'd love to hear some opinions on the matter.
"Gaming" and "VM" doesn't work well unless you are going to have multiple graphics cards and dedicate them to the VMs. Gaming servers, work OK in VMs. User interaction with a gaming display, doesn't work well in most VMs.

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
ECC will be a lot more stable. So if you don't want crashes or errors on unraid, you'd want to stick with ecc. You can't run both or the ecc will probably just run like non-ecc.

And that does bring up an idea--you can swap out the ram when you want to game, but that's a real hassle.

That's not a bad suggestion but, yeah, it would be a hassle since I'd have to power down all the time. The other issue is I am having a really hard time finding any ECC unbuffered RAM. Most of them are smaller modules, which I would rather avoid. The motherboards I've narrowed down all have 8 DIMMS and up to 32gb per module, so I'd like to get 32mb modules, not necessarily all 8. I would rather just add more modules if I need or decide to max out, instead of replacing 16gb or 8gb modules

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
"Gaming" and "VM" doesn't work well unless you are going to have multiple graphics cards and dedicate them to the VMs. Gaming servers, work OK in VMs. User interaction with a gaming display, doesn't work well in most VMs.

Right, that's my plan. The VMs will all have dedicated access to hardware, cores, RAM, and GPUs. I have one gaming VM now and it works pretty well, considering my hardware is at least a decade old. It's just several generations behind.

32gb ecc udimms are always a unicorn, usually costing more then the ecc registered modules or the non-ecc udimms. If your board will take ecc reg, I would use those as you'll find them in 32GB (even 64GB if you want to pay), with 16GB modules pretty cheap so you can load it up on ram.
Right, that's my plan. The VMs will all have dedicated access to hardware, cores, RAM, and GPUs. I have one gaming VM now and it works pretty well, considering my hardware is at least a decade old. It's just several generations behind.
If this is the case, then I would even forget worrying about faster ram because the newer platform will be so much faster than what you're already using that you can have ecc and eat your cake too without an issue. :)

Solution

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
32gb ecc udimms are always a unicorn, usually costing more then the ecc registered modules or the non-ecc udimms. If your board will take ecc reg, I would use those as you'll find them in 32GB (even 64GB if you want to pay), with 16GB modules pretty cheap so you can load it up on ram.
If this is the case, then I would even forget worrying about faster ram because the newer platform will be so much faster than what you're already using that you can have ecc and eat your cake too without an issue. :)
Ah, that's good to know. I was a little worried they were so hard to find. Unfortunately, I don't believe Zen3 supports any registered RAM. I'm not terribly worried about the RAM speed, as long as it isn't like, the lowest speed available. I found some 3200 that I think I will go with. Thanks all.

Ah, that's good to know. I was a little worried they were so hard to find. Unfortunately, I don't believe Zen3 supports any registered RAM. I'm not terribly worried about the RAM speed, as long as it isn't like, the lowest speed available. I found some 3200 that I think I will go with. Thanks all.
Yeah, most consumer platforms don't support ecc reg without a xeon, and even then only some do. I would go with ecc though even if you have to get smaller modules since that will give you stability.

TRENDING THREADS