Unread messages/threads with unread msgs.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Something that bugged me from the old forums is when I leave the site and come back later (after an annoyance called 'work' :twisted: ), and all the messages are set to read - even if I only read half of them.

Basically, that means I have to either 1) remember the titles of all threads that I read so I know what not to read again; or 2) reread the half I read earlier again - assuming I can remember where in the list it stopped... Neither is a very good option for me. :D

Don't know how much work this is and if its a lot its not worth it, but since the forums now have a 'mark all as read' link above the thread list, is it possible to have it keep a thread you didn't read as unread?

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I can live with that - how about threads in a section (which is really more what I was meaning)?

For example: Open a section - see 5 threads with new msgs. Read 2 of them (leaving 3 that I haven't read yet). Leave the forums and come back later. Reopen the section - all the threads are marked read.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Hmmm, happened all the time in the old forum (Other->Other was better - I could bounce out of Other and back in, and the threads would still be 'unread' but not if I closed IE), and I notice it happens here as well. I could be wrong because I wasn't watching specifically for it, so I'll try to duplicate for you.

I'll have to wait until later (when posts have accumulated) and I come back - I'll take some screenshots for you if it happens.

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I know its still happening. I have not viewed the graphics forum in the hardware section (in the past 2 months or so). However, it shows no unread messages. There were several thousand last Friday.

Mike.

PS: Screenshots and steps to reproduce will be posted after messages have accrued enough to test.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ok, I went home last night and made a few screenshots.

I was in the forums around 4pm Mon eve. (CST) and read all the messages I could find so that none are 'unread'. I went home and a bit after 9 I loaded up the forums from my home PC. Here's a shot of the list of forums in the 'community' section:
thgscrn5.jpg

Then I went into the Support/Hotlines forum and read the message there. Used the back button to return to the list page, pressed F5 to refresh, and I get:
thgscrn6.jpg

So far so good. So I close IE. Reopen IE, Go to Tom's Hardware, link to forums, enter the 'community' and here is what I get:
thgscrn7.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. Note Other, Polls, Feature Requests and Forumz-Other showing as read. I checked inside the noted foums (fora?) and everything was marked read. Bug reports shows as unread because of a post in the last 2 min.

I noticed later that in Hardware->Other there were messages I hadn't read yet, but were marked as read. Below note the time on threads 2 & 3 (floppy drive & Which RAM). I hadn't been to the hardware section since 4pm.
thgscrn8.jpg

Mike.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Two not so random thoughts:

1) I suggest using ALT + Print Screen and paste into MS Paint (or whatever proggy you use) to take snapshots so that it only captures the applicable window instead of the whole desktop.

2) Looks to me like this is probably the old cookie gets cleaned up and a new one established. Can the old cookie be reused? I wish I knew more about web programming ...

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
1) Noted and filed appropriately.
2) The user data on the server should control that not a local cookie because I may read the forum from any computer.

Mike.

The user data on the server should control that not a local cookie because I may read the forum from any computer.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it was like that in TOF, and it really NEEDS to be the same here.

I browse the forum on my home PC, at Uni and on my PSP - read/unread thread data should be stored server side.

I cannot stress this enough!!! :D :D :D

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Its at most one more table server-side that holds the tags. Depending on how detailed, it may be only a field or 2 in the user inf. table or one record per message per reg. user or somewhere in between.

Currently its acting as if the forumz' :roll: (or would the correct possessive be forumz's? :wink: ) 'last visit' for each user is the only thing stored server-side, and the thread-level or section-level flags are only stored in a local cookie that is discarded when the browser is closed.

I think message-level control is too much - but nice when you can get it - adding a significant overhead to each and every posting. Its a lot of work to store read/unread status for each user for each message, or even thread. A last visit time per thread would be nice too, but that requires about the same programming (but much less server load) as message-level.

Mike.