Unreal Engine 4 Elemental Tech Demo Available for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Well, UE4 subscribers have access to the whole "elemental" project and source code since a few days ago. Looks like someone just compiled it and put it on mediafire, and that explains why it lacks many options :)
It was only meant as a guideline for developers.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Tried this out last night. Is anyone else having trouble running it in anything but a 16:9 aspect ratio? Even when I set the res to 1920x1200 it still runs 16:9.

Also the demo doesn't look super impressive by default, but you can do quite a bit of tweaking by specifying certain settings in the ini. Of course this also makes the demo a lot more demanding. In my case just turning the res up to 1920x1200 was enough to bring my system to its knees. I probably averaged in the mid 20s with all other settings left at default.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Put in a Baytrail atom and dual boot to windows and android, and you might have a winner, even if the price is considerably higher. Intel keeps saying they are going to run android on Baytrail, but I somehow never appears. I dont really see the point to run android on last gen atom, when there must be some cheap ARM chip that would do the job for less.

BTW. I would be very, very reluctant to buy a cheap Acer tablet. I have an Iconia Tab A-100, and it is absolutely a terrible device. Dog slow, awful wi-fi connectivity, buggy OS, and lousy battery life.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Put in a Baytrail atom and dual boot to windows and android, and you might have a winner, even if the price is considerably higher. Intel keeps saying they are going to run android on Baytrail, but I somehow never appears. I dont really see the point to run android on last gen atom, when there must be some cheap ARM chip that would do the job for less.

BTW. I would be very, very reluctant to buy a cheap Acer tablet. I have an Iconia Tab A-100, and it is absolutely a terrible device. Dog slow, awful wi-fi connectivity, buggy OS, and lousy battery life.

Wrong article man.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
can you guys drop some tweak settings in here? i am not super impressed with the demo , i want to see the full potential of the engine from this demo

-Tj- over at Guru3D posted these settings:

[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
ResolutionSizeX=1920 <<< for example change to
ResolutionSizeY=1080 <<<change to
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=1920 << change to
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=1080<< change to
FullscreenMode=1

you can add this extra for "more detail"

r.ScreenPercentage=-1
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4

r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
r.ViewDistanceScale=1.0

r.LightFunctionQuality=1
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=1024
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.03
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1.0

r.MotionBlurQuality=4
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=3
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=2
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=400
r.LensFlareQuality=2
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=1
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
r.BloomQuality=5
r.FastBlurThreshold=7
r.UpsampleQuality=3
r.TonemapperQuality=1
r.LightShaftQuality=1
r.MaxAnisotropy=8

r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=64
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.SSR.Quality=2
r.SceneColorFormat=4
r.DetailMode=2
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=1
UI.BlurRadius=1.2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1

I haven't tried most of them, but the ones I have tried definitely make it more demanding (r.MaterialQualityLevel=1, r.DetailMode=2, r.SSR.Quality=2, r.RefractionQuality=2). I would probably start with anything that has "quality" or "detail" in it.

Yeah these are the High settings from the Cave demo - you can view them in the console after selecting the two GTXs in game. I copied and pasted these into that user config file and it makes things a little better - with a 20% perf hit. Still no way to envoke better AO or that amazing Global Illumination seen in the first version.

Lascar

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
ok so platform devs still don't get it, please stop with all the glossing of things. How can old armour thats covered in mold, rust, dust plaque and so many other things be so glossy? How come lava flow is so glossy when it should be a matte tone? Just look at the start, the decrepit stone pillars are so not stone pillars at all, more like newly placed marble pillars.

Why they keep making unreal engine so glossy and not move even 1 inch towards more realistic colors and toning. Are we to keep playing games with graphics like Mass Effect 3 on ultra high end cards? Cmon you can certainly do better.

Heh well if this keeps going on either people will stop playing unreal engine based games, or people will stop buying high end cards at some point because game platforms like unreal engine are not evolving at all.

Lascar

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
And on top of that the textures, lighting and effects are really not impressive at all. So many effects missing right there. So basically they added some more AA and AF to match platforms like Cryengine visual but ultimately failing by still being unreal engine 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.