Unreal Engine 4 Not For Current Platforms (Except Kepler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatum

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
"When you look for the best graphics available in the whole game industry today, you look at Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3"

i lol'd...

amdphenomx4

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
So in other words, they're too lazy to make a PC game so they just forget about the fact that PCs today are more powerful than the next gen consoles and say that consoles define high-end gaming, which none of them even play in 720P, unlike the majority of PC gamers.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
"When you look for the best graphics available in the whole game industry today, you look at Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3"

Oh come on, they just dont get it do they?

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I'm willing to bet it's a software limitation rather than a hardware limitation. I can't believe a console will be having anything as powerful in its guts as Kepler.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I had enough of this joker, when saying a thing like the "current" 5 years old consoles are having the best gfx out there its like saying black-white television is the bleeding edge in broadcasting - The only purpose that would serve is to appear as a total and utter moron stuck in the past.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Game developers are saying that they went to consoles because no piracy .. well ... the 2 platforms at this moment are the same ... on bouth you can play pirated versions of the games , but if you want to play the multiplayer content you`ll have to buy the game on either of the platforms ... so this bullshit with PC has more piracy is going nowhere. Computers are about evolution, they drove the graphics in games further and further with each year ... consoles are just for the money not for evolution. There goes the fast evolution in graphics ....

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

How can he say that and not get struck by lightning ? Moron ...

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
So they finally admited they don't count the PC as a gaming platform?

Sad to see a company with so much history go for the easy money so blatantly.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Someone need to destroy all the Xbox360 and playstation 3 development kits in the entire world. So these lazy moron can move on next platform.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Getting back to Unreal Engine 4, Epic hopes to showcase the new platform in public by the end of 2012. It's also reportedly running on a single card powered by Nvidia's Kepler hardware. Last year the Unreal Engine 3-based "Samaritan" demo required three high-end Nvidia cards and a monster PSU -- now it runs on the same single Kepler-based board used by the UE4 demos.

"We can get so more out of that card than what you saw in Samaritan," said Epic Games VP Rein during GDC. Sounds like hardware is finally catching up with the software.

Yeah, because GCN would be so unable to handle the workload.

*rolleyes*

I'm beginning to wonder about Epic.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Tim Sweeney[/nom]"The thing that separates Real Developers from Lazy ass Profiteers is the fact that consoles define the Lazy ass Developers gaming experience," he said. "When you look for the Biggest Idiots available in the whole game industry today, you look at Epic and Unreal Engine 4, and those two are the biggest out there, bar none. And so the big opportunities for future Idiots is to bring that to an entirely new level by delivering a dramatic increase in raw Stupidity power."[/citation]

There you go i fixed it for ya! ;)

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Problems of PC:

1. Whatever horsepower advantage PC has gets swamped under layers upon layers of compatibilities and wrappers, just to make it work with billions of driver/OS/version/hardware permutations. John Carmack himself mentioned the hoops he had to jump just for one GPU vendor.

2. A stable hardware platform like PS3/X360 for many years allows for developers to heavily optimize for it. That trumps the moving target that is the PC.

3. PC Piracy. Really bad. Whatever claim you make about Xbox360 piracy, at least they can move millions on that platform.

4. Terrible value for money. PS3 was introduced in 2006, and only in 2008 an expensive PC can play the same games today.

5. Deceptively small, disproportionately vocal and polarized market.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]Problems of PC:1. Whatever horsepower advantage PC has gets swamped under layers upon layers of compatibilities and wrappers, just to make it work with billions of driver/OS/version/hardware permutations. John Carmack himself mentioned the hoops he had to jump just for one GPU vendor.2. A stable hardware platform like PS3/X360 for many years allows for developers to heavily optimize for it. That trumps the moving target that is the PC.3. PC Piracy. Really bad. Whatever claim you make about Xbox360 piracy, at least they can move millions on that platform.4. Terrible value for money. PS3 was introduced in 2006, and only in 2008 an expensive PC can play the same games today.5. Deceptively small, disproportionately vocal and polarized market.[/citation]
How Blizzard does it is just magic i guess.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]alterecho[/nom]TWIMTBP from the get go i see.[/citation]

Certainly seems that way.
Both Fermi and GCN based cards have better compute functionality than Kepler.
Both GCN and (some) Kepler support DX11.1, OGL 4.2, and OCL 1.2.
Kepler has the performance edge, but seeing as an overclocked Tahiti can match it, I can't see the performance difference being significant enough to not be able to run the engine.

Unless they have a requirement for CUDA and/or (GPU based) PhysX I can't see why Kepler is the only current architecture the engine will run on.
Of course, making CUDA and/or (GPU based) PhysX a requirement would alienate a huge customer base, so I can't really see that happening.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"The thing that separates consoles from FarmVille is the fact that consoles define the high-end gaming experience," he said. "When you look for the best graphics available in the whole game industry today, you look at Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and those games are the best out there, bar none. And so the big opportunities for future consoles is to bring that to an entirely new level by delivering a dramatic increase in raw computing power."

did this guy take a sharp blow to the head ??? consoles best graphics availble bar none ???? i guess epic completely forgot about pc , but oh wait they start the article saying unreal 4 runs on kepler chips only ... well that can't be right if consoles offer teh best graphics ????

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

You must be smoking the same crack Tim sweeney is smoking... We out gunned both consoles before they were even released.. You do realize there stuck on DirectX 9.. Go look up DX9 and when it came out please..... :eek:

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]Problems of PC:1. Whatever horsepower advantage PC has gets swamped under layers upon layers of compatibilities and wrappers, just to make it work with billions of driver/OS/version/hardware permutations. John Carmack himself mentioned the hoops he had to jump just for one GPU vendor.2. A stable hardware platform like PS3/X360 for many years allows for developers to heavily optimize for it. That trumps the moving target that is the PC.3. PC Piracy. Really bad. Whatever claim you make about Xbox360 piracy, at least they can move millions on that platform.4. Terrible value for money. PS3 was introduced in 2006, and only in 2008 an expensive PC can play the same games today.5. Deceptively small, disproportionately vocal and polarized market.[/citation]

Partially correct on all points, except for point 4, which isn't really relevant now anyway (it's 2012). Nowadays, consoles look pitiful next to even modest desktop computers. The current crop of consoles desperately need to die in order for the gaming industry to finally progress into the second decade of the century.

I will never be a console gamer because the games are too expensive, the environment too sandboxed, and after release the performance is quickly outstripped by the PC platform. I'll take a small hit in plug-n-play goodness for the benefits of the PC.

However, developers won't. Which explains why game development has, for the most part, stagnated as the old console hardware strangles everything. Small wonder there is a rise in Indie games trying to push things in interesting new directions when the big studios are just releasing swathes of generic lookalike rubbish like Crap of Duty 8.

Graphics might not be the be-all and end-all... but seriously, right now new consoles wouldn't hurt. UE4 looks gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.