Unreal Engine iOS 'Infinity Blade' Game Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Too fragmented. Doubt it will happen.[/citation]
John Carmack said he is making an Android version of the RAGE game shown on iOS.

Also fragmentation doesn't change much. I mean do you think the problem with a

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Oh come on. Does the comment get totally nuked if you have a special character in it? Why not add a quick script that removes those things if they're not tolerated?!

I'm not going to write my whole comment again but I'll finish the displayed sentence:
I mean, do you think the problem with a 500mhz phone, with pretty much nonexistent graphics capabilities, is that it's running Android 1.6?? All 2.x devices have OpenGL ES support.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Too fragmented. Doubt it will happen.[/citation]

Did you think about how many Android phones have the Power VR GPU's that will run this game?

Still think it's fragmented now?

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Who gives a rusty rats ass about Android. Its not out on that platform, so why bring it up?

Again, if you want the best dev support and best games, iOS is the way to go.

G

@osxsier

That is hardly true these days. Since android controls a larger share of the smartphone market world wide now and likely before the years end in US, things are shifting rapidly. Developers are out there to make money, so they are going to target the platforms with the most users. It is already happening and if you knew anything about android you would know that almost all the top iOS games are already on Android and the list keeps growing.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Sure, they may have a larger share of the market, but is everyones phone running 2.1 or greater? I think not.

I agree developers will gravitate to where they can make the most money and right now the numbers are in Apples favor.

You forget, we are not just talking about iPhones. How many more millions of iPod touches are out there? So if you bring those numbers in, Apples user base is pretty big.

Either way, it dont matter to me one way or the other. I dont get all worked up about what phone people use. However, I know alot of people here do.

I have an iPhone 4 and I love it. But I am not going to bash others because they have an Android phone. One guy even went out of his way to say I was a waste of life and space because I used an iPhone. He flamed me once and then came back hours later to flame me again. I laughed and thought it was totally pathetic. Saying that, I dont worship Steve Jobs. I own a PC that I use for gaming, etc. I am more of a tech enthusiast than a blind Apple loyalist.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]Sure, they may have a larger share of the market, but is everyones phone running 2.1 or greater? I think not. I agree developers will gravitate to where they can make the most money and right now the numbers are in Apples favor. You forget, we are not just talking about iPhones. How many more millions of iPod touches are out there? So if you bring those numbers in, Apples user base is pretty big.Either way, it dont matter to me one way or the other. I dont get all worked up about what phone people use. However, I know alot of people here do. I have an iPhone 4 and I love it. But I am not going to bash others because they have an Android phone. One guy even went out of his way to say I was a waste of life and space because I used an iPhone. He flamed me once and then came back hours later to flame me again. I laughed and thought it was totally pathetic. Saying that, I dont worship Steve Jobs. I own a PC that I use for gaming, etc. I am more of a tech enthusiast than a blind Apple loyalist.[/citation]

Finally, somebody who shares the same opinion. People here just hate the iPhone because it is the "cool" thing to hate in this micro community. The ultimate distortion reality field is the opinion of others.

G

Actually over 83% of Android users are on 2.1 and up. Take a look for yourself: *http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html*

It is technically less fragmented software wise than iOS. You can find iOS version statistics online too.

Keep in mind Android activations per day are over 300k and growing. Compare this to apple's announcement not too long ago that iOS activations were 230k per day (which included iPhone, iPad, and iPod). Android is taking over and people should "give a rats ass" about it...

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]yaffss[/nom]Actually over 83% of Android users are on 2.1 and up. Take a look for yourself: *http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html*It is technically less fragmented software wise than iOS. You can find iOS version statistics online too.Keep in mind Android activations per day are over 300k and growing. Compare this to apple's announcement not too long ago that iOS activations were 230k per day (which included iPhone, iPad, and iPod). Android is taking over and people should "give a rats ass" about it...[/citation]

That doesn't mean they can run games like this.

There are nearly 100 different "Android" phones out there with different amounts of processing power.

It would be a nightmare for a dev to deal with all the noobs who get mad because their entry level Android phone will not run a top-notch game.

I believe that's what the "fragmented" bit was implying..

The screen shots do look nice but consider this...
The iPhone 4 resolution is: 960 X 640 = 614,400 pixels
The iPad resolution is: 1024 X 768 = 786,432 pixels
Compare that to me playing
Unreal Tournament 3 in HD: 1920 X 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

Since the screen resolutions are lower it doesn't take as much graphical power to play games on a smaller lower resolution screen. Don't get me wrong the screen shots look great but I'm not surprised that it can handle lower resolution graphics like that.

G

@ben850

Actually most Android phones can run games like this. All the Motorola droid phones (droid, droidx, droid2, etc, which is the highest selling line)have the same SGX 535 gpu chip as the iphones. The slowest droid has the same cpu as the iphone 3gs. The newer droids are significantly faster than the iphone4 boasting twice the floating point performance. The majority of other Android phones have Adreno 200 gpus which are comparable to the 535 and processors that are again significantly faster than the iphone4. This doesn't even count the millions of galaxy S phones that have SGX 540 gpus which are 2x faster than the 535s or the Adreno 205s that are in every new HTC phone and are also faster than the 535s. So long story short, just about every Android phone on the market these days with the exception of a few models have enough power to run these games.

Onto part two, fragmentation... Sure, there are 100's of android phones, but the API's are all the same for each android version. This means you only code for the android version you are targeting, regardless of hardware or phone. If you want to take advantage of hardware features certain phones have, there are simple tools in the SDK to do so. It is not the nightmare people (who usually aren't even devs) claim and any application in the market can be restricted from devices that cannot run it properly. It is very simple and dev's generally do not have problems with this. Sure, sometimes there are small issues or bugs, but it has never been a major issue for any developer I've ever heard of in the dev forums or anywhere else.

Keep in mind, the PC has millions of hardware combinations and developers for PC's don't seem to have much trouble. I think most the people online who complain about this for smartphones are either lazy or just plain crappy developers.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Unreal Engine out on iOS. Wow ! they did that fast. I am still waiting for UT3 to be supported under Linux.

About the hold chatter of Android as a gaming system... Do I have to remind you of the upcoming tablets from Nvidia running the Tegra 2 and Android. Apple will just never catch up to an industry working together to bury their walled garden.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]That doesn't mean they can run games like this.There are nearly 100 different "Android" phones out there with different amounts of processing power.It would be a nightmare for a dev to deal with all the noobs who get mad because their entry level Android phone will not run a top-notch game.I believe that's what the "fragmented" bit was implying..[/citation]

Thats a bad argument. How are PC games able to run on a wide variety of computers. With good software you can cope with differences in hardware.

if( good hardware) {
put bells and whistles
}else if ( lower hardware){
do only the basic graphics
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS