Unreal Tournament Turns 10; Get Game for $2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
unreal tourment games are amazing :p i have 2004 and i still play it nowadays on average 2-3 hours a week its one of those games you can't stop playing :p

G

Yay for the Jedi Knight series! My fondest memories of gaming are belong to Dark Forces!

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[sheds a tear] Oh how I miss the original UT and facing worlds. Alas, these days I do not have time to find and break out taht old copy let alone play it.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Back in 1999 there were so many awesome PC Games that I couldn't afford many of them at the time.I was into flight simulators so I passed on the FPS genre and there were many great choices.However years later I was able to get many of them in a used software store.I did get Unreal Tournament it was an incredible graphics masterpiece especially with a 3DFX card.
I don't have Jedi Knight Dark Forces II just played the demo so I'll be looking forward to getting the full version.I love the older PC Games.
I still keep some older systems around too just for that reason.

Atticah

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
everytime i played that game it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to fast and i died super quick so i gave up on it

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Wow...it has been that long? I use to pwn in UT. I was a Shock Rifle whore. Capture the Flag on Facing Worlds...that was the shitzers. TeleFraging, Cheating by using the Redeemer to launch your flag to tyour side and then respawn only to pick up your flag!!! WOOT! Brings back alot of memmories. UT was soo fast paced vs camping walking Counter-Strike and Quake3...it wasn't even close. Put Bots on Godlike and play against them was also the best. UT was one of those games I remember playing countless hours on.

The later UT's made a farce of the weapons from the original. Just never liked it. Shock Rifle too slow, Only 3 rockets for Rocket Launcher..etc.

Classic! Classic!!....

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Okay Epic... How about FIXING UT3... (like UT2003), giving it a new name and perhaps you'll get it RIGHT this time.

As a buyer and player of all of the UT (on PC) games... UT3 could have been better. The engine itself is good, controls are good, weapons are very nice, maps are beautiful. High FPS compared to Crysis.

Why UT3 sucks (And I bought the $60 tin box version)
- Maps. 32(give or take) maps, other than about 10 good ones, the rest SUCK, unplayable to real humans. UT2003 had this problem, UT2004 came with 120+ maps. But UT2003 problems were more technical than map issues.

- Vechicle View Zoom : Anyone who has PLAYED UT2004 KNOWS how this is supposed to work. Use the mouse wheel to ZOOM in and out of your VEC while you fly/drive/etc. So you can (A) See what you're doing (B) See what you're shooting at (C) See your own team-mates if they are "hitching" a ride on you. But NO, You morons have the raptor/tank/etc sucking up about 40% of the screen and we're supposed to LIKE IT?

There is a MOD that re-activates the VEC Zoom controls, even better than UT2004. But since its a user mod and not a GAME standard, finding human servers using the MOD is almost NIL. When I play with the MOD in single player mode... ah, UT3 is SO much more fun.

You see.. Epic, that is how you SELL games. IT HAS TO BE FUN!
Not frustrating. Understand the difference? (I doubt it)

Epic has fixed pretty much all the bug. The Menu GUI is still a bit on the LAME side, but far better than before (UT3 1.x). (PS: Hey readers, go into the INI file and change the on-screen map to a smaller size).

So... because you (EPIC) made a game with only 3 playable WAR (AKA ONS)maps in which ONS was the MOST popular mode of UT2004... you (EPic) made UT3 Boooring. Small cramped maps with high-speed VECs that you can't see to control... stupid.

So... the gamers become BORED... and just left. In early 2001, there were thousands of UT99 servers. How many UT3 servers are out there? Maybe 50 or so... and mostly empty.

So I play UT2004... have fun... and say "Gee... these graphics are SOOO 2004... if only there was a UT type of game were we can ALL play that looked and play awsome".... Epic Failure.

Yes, as of today. UT3 has some Excellent end-user designed maps. They are fun, well designed, etc. Theres over 100 really good UT3 maps out there now. Whats wrong? Oh yeah, finding Servers TO play those maps! With typical maps being 25~40mb each and servers having problems sending the custom maps to end users... what is left, is mostly the same servers with the same crappy lame boring stupid default maps that came with UT3 1.0.

So there is NOBODY to play with because there are no MAPS for people to have fun in.

Simple fix Epic. Fix the problems noted above.
Make UT310 or UT 10year Special Edition... and hey, include about 10+ extra UT99 maps (updated). Total map count needs to be 125, at least (since 20+ original maps will always SUCK) and with some luck, PEOPLE will come out to play, more people will develop maps for UT.

A UT player since 1999 with the original Unreal and a Voodoo1 card.

harlequin6791

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
The original UT was the best game out there for years. Running ctf on an low-g Instagib server was the most fun I've seen to date. If you had a good squad they could boost you across the entire map or you could run it back with the dodging controls. Turning around in mid leap to take out 1 or 2 of your pursuers. Unreal has gone down game play wise since then but still a solid game. The game brought so many cool additions to the fps world. As I already mentioned the dodging, ease of mod with the map creator, guided missiles, alt fire on each weapon.

OH ya the Dr Strangelove mod was hilarious! Flying around on a guided nuke.

harlequin6791

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Okay Epic... How about FIXING UT3... [/citation]

Wow you need to learn how to let things go man. You're complaining about a game that is long past. I think saying you didn't like UT2003 would have sufficed instead of a 4 page paper on how it effected your childhood.

Whats next?
"Hey Atari...How about you fix pitfall! I hate it how I clearly jump over the hole but I still fall through it."

[citation][nom]harlequin6791[/nom]Wow you need to learn how to let things go man. You're complaining about a game that is long past. I think saying you didn't like UT2003 would have sufficed instead of a 4 page paper on how it effected your childhood. Whats next? "Hey Atari...How about you fix pitfall! I hate it how I clearly jump over the hole but I still fall through it."[/citation]

dude i think he is talking about UT3 and not UT2003

G

So, UT3 wasn't quite what everybody wanted, but at 8 dollars consider it a golden ticket to be able to play all the awesome mods made for it. Now that's where the fun is.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
And yes, you can't go wrong for only a mere $8. Thats about the averone one spends on lunch these days!!! I am in on the boat with this one and will purchase!!!

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
This is amazing news.

"Fans of the original version, the classic Unreal Tournament game that took on id Software's Quake 3 Arena back in 1999, will be available to purchase on Steam for a whopping $1.99."

Let me clarify by removing the subordinate clause above.

"Fans of the original version will be available to purchase on Steam for a whopping $1.99."

I can now purchase fans of the original UT on Steam for $1.99? That's a steal. Can you ask for certain skill sets, like game programmers? That would be cool. I could start my own company if I bought enough of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.