Unreasonable Reboots

What might be the causes of a notebook rebooting for apparently no reason?
Also, what might be the cause of various reboots failing (stopping) in the
early stages? Thanks.

jeff

I've seen this problem caused by overheating in desktop PC's . Dust
accumulation in the case makes the PC run hot.

"gtp" <gtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What might be the causes of a notebook rebooting for apparently no reason?
> Also, what might be the cause of various reboots failing (stopping) in the
> early stages? Thanks.

Mike

Splendid

scanned for viruses recently?
typical behaviour of the bagel? worm when it has infected xp.

mike

"gtp" <gtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What might be the causes of a notebook rebooting for apparently no reason?
> Also, what might be the cause of various reboots failing (stopping) in the
> early stages? Thanks.

---

Thanks to you both. Perhaps either. The notebook can get pretty hot around
the memory slots. Also, I formatted the areas and reinstalled XP and the
problem seemed to lessen (I check viruses regularly, but I don't think I ever
performed the direct virus removals (software patches or removal executions)
on this box). Hopefully, the formatted disks will continue for awhile (and
the heat isn't the problem). Thanks again.