Question Unreasonably high RAM usage with no clear source

chuggazconroy

Honorable
May 1, 2014
Hi, I need some help troubleshooting my computer.
Specs:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-3GB
SSD: Kingdian S180 60GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 8GBF1X08JEEE36-12-K 2x8GB
MBD: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3-CF
PSU: EVGA 600B
Am using Win10 64bit, version 1809, build 17763.437
Firstly, I have 16 gigs of DDR4 ram, and Windows recognizes that I have 16 gigs, so it's not a problem there

Recently, within the last two weeks, my memory usage has been incredibly high with no real reason to be. It hovers around 50% used while idle and goes up to 85% in use when I do my daily things on it, which is typically having a couple tabs of Opera open, having Discord open, and having Steam open. I can't for the life of me figure out what is the cause of this. I haven't really downloaded/changed much in the last two weeks since this problem arose, so that leaves me even more stumped. Whenever I restart my computer, the memory used is typically pretty reasonable, staying under 40% used, however it rises randomly.

Here's an album with screenshots of task manager, a memory cleaner tool that I've been using that saves a couple hundred megabytes of ram every so often I use it, and screenshots of rammap.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if this is directly relevant, but it takes my system about four minutes to restart, and when I log back in and have all my usual programs open, the memory usage is normal, it stays around 20% right after I boot up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Posting your hardware, Win build number, and an alphabetized list of running processes (rather than just the small slice shown) may help others assist you, especially in the case of possible memory leaking. Reading a jumbled process list for possible offending programs is painful

A virus/malware scan wouldn't hurt, in case something made it past your defenses.

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
What happens when you remove one of your ram modules (just curious)?

Do you happen to have one of those virtual ram programmes installed on your computer? Some motherboard apps automatically install it, so it maybe worth checking for something like that.

Edit: a few years back I had excessively high ram usage. The problem was I had somehow installed 2 copies of the same antivirus on my pc which caused chaos, especially as I couldn’t uninstall either of them and ended up having to use a removal tool from their customer services.