[SOLVED] Unrecognisable pen drive

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Hi
I have a SanDisk Ultra Dual 32 GB USB 3.0 OTG Pen Drive that when connected to my PC shows up as "FD-SETUP" with a capacity of only 511 MB of which 386 are free. I've tried on my phone but no luck there either. However, I haven't tried formatting it lest I should damage it. I need it to try and fix my laptop. Any help is appreciated and gratitude expressed in advance.

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
You won't damage it just by formatting it. Try restoring device defaults and read this:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/

Good luck!
I think I've misled you with the use of the word "damage". What I had meant was that I didn't know what's on it already and didn't want to do any harm by formatting it (because I'm not the only one using it and I haven't been around for some time).

Mar 5, 2020
I understand now. Yeah, i've seen this many times. If it's not reporting the correct size, i'd right click on the drive in file explorer, choose properties, then hardware, then highlight the device and click properties again... anything there helpful on the event tab?

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
I understand now. Yeah, i've seen this many times. If it's not reporting the correct size, i'd right click on the drive in file explorer, choose properties, then hardware, then highlight the device and click properties again... anything there helpful on the event tab?
Turns out the problem is much deeper than I thought. I did format it (on my phone because no one claimed to have anything important on it) and works well on my desktop PC but my laptop doesn't even list it in This PC. However, it is listed in Devices and Printers in the Control Panel of the laptop.
I have tried troubleshooting which is already described as "working properly" which I know is pretty pointless. The sad part is, I need this pen drive to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC. I am already in a mess and this just made it worse :/