unrecognizable hard drive

May 25, 2018
After a power outage Win 7 will not recognize my usb hdd. It's a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 3000. It shows in device mgr. but not in explorer. There is no drive letter associated with it. Computer management does not see it. I've tried 3rd party data recovery and partitioning software, but no one sees it. Drive worked fine until the power glitch. PC went down, rebooted and no drive. Running Win 7 on an HP a6603w. Tried different usb ports and different power plugs. Removed it from it's case, hooked it up inside the PC, same results. Is ther something else I can try. Right now I just want to format it to reuse. I don't need a 3TB door stop.

Hello mascoli124, that is most unfortunate to have the drive encounter this problem after a power outage. You may format using Diskpart Clean.

It is also a good idea to have a good back up plan. The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.

May 25, 2018

May 25, 2018
Unfortunately Disk Part Clean did not work. It said it cleaned, but the drive is still unrecognizable to windows. Still unable to assign a drive letter. Someone said to try Seagate Disk Wizard. That, however, couldn't even see the drive.

May 25, 2018
Yes I did check. It does not show up. I was so involved with this I never checked out the rest of my system. I was running 3 Seagate drive and two WD drives on my PC. The WD's are fine, but all three of the Seagates evidentially didn't do so well. They are all the same, inaccessible, with no drive letter assigned, and not showing up anywhere. I think I'll be staying with Western Digital from now on.

May 25, 2018
Thank you everyone for your help. I have an update. A friend offered to look at the drive and brought it to his house. He is running Win 10. Plugged it in and Win 10 saw it and gave it a drive letter. It showed in device manager, computer management, and file manager. However, comp. mgmt. says its file system is RAW. While I've already told myself I've lost all the files on the drive, I would still like to reuse the drive. Windows will not format it. any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS