[SOLVED] Unrecognized old hard drives after fresh windows 10 install on new SSD

xiiicaesar

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Hey guys,

I finally bought an SSD and installed windows 10 on it. However, when I boot my pc from that SSD card, windows won't recognize the old drives. They show up in BIOS but not in Disc management.
I tried switching the SATA cables around but to no avail.

I tried booting the computer up again from one of the old drives (without the SSD) and there they are! The old windows install recognizes both old drives.

I can't make head or tails of this.

How can I use my SSD for windows while using my old HDD's for storage and games?
Thank you for reading!

Solution

Win + R, type control then go to Hardware and sound > Device and Printers, right Click on your PC Icon that should have the yellow exclamation mark. Troubleshoot and select...
Dec 16, 2018

Win + R, type control then go to Hardware and sound > Device and Printers, right Click on your PC Icon that should have the yellow exclamation mark. Troubleshoot and select "My device is not displayed" Or something like that. After the driver download it will prompt you to reboot. After the reboot, you're good to go. At least it worked for me.

Solution

xiiicaesar

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

Hey there!
They don't show up in Disk Management.

xiiicaesar

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

Hello!
They don't show up in device manager.

xiiicaesar

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

Hey there!
There was no yellow exclamation mark after right clicking on PC. There was a troubleshoot option that said that it hadn't detected any issues.

xiiicaesar

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

Honestly, I couldn't understand what you meant (lack of knowledge on my part). However, you gave me the idea of installing the drivers for my MB (Asrock B85M-GL) and that did the trick. I now see all my drivers.

Thank you everyone for helping me figuring this out!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Good job. Glad to hear the issue is settled.
As to my previous statement, I was referring to how the OS was installed; UEFI mode or Legacy. You can go to "System Information" and scroll down to "BIOS Mode". It should say either UEFI or Legacy.
Video